Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-08-2003 , 09:47 AM

Photoreal Nurbs Texturing using Mental Ray & HDRI ?

Hello friends !

I´ve modeled a simply airplane in nurbs and now, I´m on the
texturing part.

I only used these three textures for my material.
Color, Bump, and Specular.

Here you can see a testrendering from my airplane, only the mainbody and wings have been textured:
user added image

As you can see the material isn´t looking very real, and I don´t know why. Of course there must be some really important settings in my material I didn´t recognized.

I´ve used only three maps for my material:
Color: user added image

Bump:
user added image

Specular:
user added image

The images on the server are compressed and not as good as I have. But, I only wanted to show the textures, because I´m not sure if the specualr image will be right ? And if it´s okay, that the texture is gray and not colored ?

Well, so that´s it. I only use these three textures for my material.
Color, Bump, and Specular.

Is that enough ?
Hmm, it would be great if I could get a really photorealistic texture, so that the image after rendering will look absolute photorealistic.

I know that it´s a stupid question: How can I make a photoreaslitc texture ? Hmm, but I have no other idea how I
should ask ? I don´t know if only the lightsources from the HDR-Image will be enough, but I think yes, or isn´t that enough?

Maybe someone can give me very good hints, or I have the luck and there are some shaders for free to find in the internet which I can use on my plane ? Or some really nice texture sources?

But I think that the really important things are the settings in the material. The best thing would be if I could get a material with the right settings for that I want to have. Well, the last idea is one I really love - lol; everyone will understand, because if I could see the material by loading into Maya, I can see the important settings. That is always the best thing how I can learn.

Maybe someone will find a little bit time for my problem,
and can support me with all your good suggestions.

Thank you so much for your help,
bernhard :bgreen:

contact me via MSN: rieder@utanet.at
# 2 08-08-2003 , 08:00 PM
SM Alumni
What is your bump depth set at?

Is this a blinn material?

You might want to think about adding rivets to the body as most planes of that type were constructed of thin metal panels user added image

Darkon the Incandescent

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 3 10-08-2003 , 02:59 AM
Diffuse maps are very good to use. I know nothing about texturing, but I know diffuse maps really help to bring out the feel of your renders.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow