Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-08-2006 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber

Need help with hardening edges

Hi all

Working on my current project (a 1966 Corvette), I'm starting to split panels out and harden up the edges. I'm hitting and issue where a smooth pulls a vertex in such a way that it messes up the mesh:

PreSmooth ...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-08-2006 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
PostSmooth ...

Note the messy corner in the red circle. The vertex near the yellow x is too far left.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 20-08-2006 , 01:18 AM
Subscriber
PostSmoothCloseUp ...

I'd like to avoid subdividing the surrounding mesh as it has undesirable follow on effects to the rest of the model.

Any ideas folks?

Ta

MrR

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-08-2006 , 02:22 AM
hi .I had the same problem. you take very hard way. the easy way convert your object to sub-D and than there work on edges with patial crease edges/
convert the object to sub-d
select the edge that you want(hard edge)
in the menu sub-d click on prtial crease edge 1 or 2(more harder)
or full crease (that is very hard edge like table or knife edge)

just try it is very easy and simple if you not happy with edge you can uncrease edge in the menu(undo)

after you finished you can convert the sub-d to oplygon again. but when you convert the sub-d to poly you have to be carreful.need some changing in the option tesselation method: vertice and the level should be 1 or 2 that is the best way return to poly. but sub-d has great view in render. good luck

:bow:
# 5 20-08-2006 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by 3danimationmaya
hi .I had the same problem. you take very hard way. the easy way convert your object to sub-D and than there work on edges with patial crease edges/
convert the object to sub-d
select the edge that you want(hard edge)
in the menu sub-d click on prtial crease edge 1 or 2(more harder)
or full crease (that is very hard edge like table or knife edge)

just try it is very easy and simple if you not happy with edge you can uncrease edge in the menu(undo)

after you finished you can convert the sub-d to oplygon again. but when you convert the sub-d to poly you have to be carreful.need some changing in the option tesselation method: vertice and the level should be 1 or 2 that is the best way return to poly. but sub-d has great view in render. good luck

Thanks for that but I don't want to use sub-d's. The edge won't be as sharp as I can get it with nice close loops.

# 6 20-08-2006 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
i see the problem you are getting . i agree with 3danimationmaya, that is the way i usally built my cars. first i block it out in poly and then convert to subdivisions. it works pretty well and when it is in the subdiv mode you can add creases to it. then from there you convert it back to poly with the options set on adaptive.

# 7 20-08-2006 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber
you using Maya 7 or later?..
if so there is an option called Poly crease tool, which is very nice for a poly smooth object.. you can select teh edges on your base mesh, and increase or decrease the hardness of the edge...

If not, then i'd have to go along with the earlier suggestion
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!