Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 20-01-2007 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
Ah, don't worry about it. Sometimes a pic's worth a 1000 words, and this is especially true when trying to come to grips with something.

j5ive was spot on the money with his description, though for a newie it may seem a little bewildering. I did it slightly differently than described, but no matter it's still a torch.

Here's all the steps needed with pics.

1. Create 32 sided cylinder
2. Delete all the edges on the top and bottom
3. Extrude the top face, scaling out a little
4. Extrude again, just moving upwards
5. Rotate part by 45 deg
6. Use cut faces tool, using axis as a guidline
7. Delete unneccesary faces
8. Rotate to this position
9. Duplicate it
10. Rotate the duplicate
11. Rotate the duplicate again
12. Select top verts and move them up a bit
13. Pick duplicate as an object, then hit insert, hold down V and move the axis point to the topmost vertex. Hit ins again.
14. Select duplicate as an object, hold V then move until the two parts line up
15. Select both objects, Polygons->Combine, Select verts at intersection & hit EditPolygons->Merge.

16. Work out which part to attack next.....

Simon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 20-01-2007 , 01:58 PM
Senior Software Developer
Both solutions are spot on on this.

Really there are a few ways to approach this and still end up with the same results. Go to the Maya F1 Files and do the tutes there first. This will give you a much better idea of the Maya basics.

From the sounds of it you have literally just started with Maya, so good luck, its a tough learning curve.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 18 20-01-2007 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
hey allanphua, have you started any progress yet?

haha i was bored in the afternoon and decided to see how much i could do in a little time for fun :p this is what i got up to, colours are abit off. if you like anything from mine just give us a nudge and ill tell you how to model it allanphua or anyone else user added image

marlon

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 19 21-01-2007 , 09:40 AM
what should i set the radius and the height of the cylinder to? What about the Subdivisions around the Axis and along the height?

# 20 21-01-2007 , 09:46 AM
Should I use NURBS or POLYGON Primitives to set the attributes? How to set it to 32 Sided? isit found in the Polygon Primitives or NURBS

# 21 21-01-2007 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
you dont really need the exact measurements, just try go by eye and go as best as you can.

if im on the right page as you, if you want to set 32 sided, go to the option box for polygon, before you actually click on it itself.

# 22 21-01-2007 , 10:23 AM
i just cant get it right. I do not know how to set the dimensions to 32 sided.

# 23 21-01-2007 , 10:34 AM
Senior Software Developer
[QUOTE]Originally posted by allanphua
I do not know how to set the dimensions to 32 sided./QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to do some tutorials fisr before attempting this on your own. Press F1 and do those. You are not going to learn via forums tbh. Download the free tutorials from here, these cover the basics.

Once you understand the Maya UI and get to grips with just creating objects then I'd say ull be ready to attempt this.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 24 21-01-2007 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
EDIT: yeah i agree with ransid, first learn the user interface before even starting to try and create something, your trying to walk before you can crawl i think...

but here it is anyway... ived posted some screenshots how,

user added image

Last edited by marlonjohn; 21-01-2007 at 10:56 AM.
# 25 22-01-2007 , 08:28 AM
1. Create 32 sided cylinder
2. Delete all the edges on the top and bottom
3. Extrude the top face, scaling out a little
4. Extrude again, just moving upwards
5. Rotate part by 45 deg
6. Use cut faces tool, using axis as a guidline
7. Delete unneccesary faces
8. Rotate to this position
9. Duplicate it
10. Rotate the duplicate
11. Rotate the duplicate again
12. Select top verts and move them up a bit
13. Pick duplicate as an object, then hit insert, hold down V and move the axis point to the topmost vertex. Hit ins again.
14. Select duplicate as an object, hold V then move until the two parts line up
15. Select both objects, Polygons->Combine, Select verts at intersection & hit EditPolygons->Merge.

16. Work out which part to attack next.....

How to do Step 2, 3 4 and 7? How many degress do i have to rotate the duplicate?

# 26 22-01-2007 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
Roflmao..

2. Hold right button(over object), select edges, select alledges in top view on end oof cylinder, hit delete.

3. Hold right button(over object), select faces, select top face, Polygons->ExtrudeFace. Click a scale part of the manipulator then drag the scale using the blue box that appears in the middle of the manipulator.

4. With the last face still selected, hit g, then use the up arrow to move it the right amount.

7. Hold right button(that's right, you guess it, over the object) and select all the faces you don't need and hit del.

10. Rotate the duplicate?? Huh? It's clearly 180deg from img 9 to img 10. From img 10 to 11 is clearly 90deg, but on another axis.

Finally, send me some money so I can try to placate the people I've probably annoyed with the detailed instructions under the circumstances... :p
Simon.

# 27 24-01-2007 , 07:29 PM
Make your cylender
Wedge extrude 45
extrude top face

Just for the corner piece, I noticed no one mentioned wedge extrusions.

# 28 25-01-2007 , 03:10 AM
i dont know how to do wedge extrusion? Its too confusing for me to follow without any steps or pictures.

# 29 25-01-2007 , 03:16 AM
Subscriber
allanphua, it seems you are very new to maya...

it would be better if you learnt the whole maya user interface so then you know whats what and where everything is. try googling for some tutorial etc

thats my thought,

# 30 29-01-2007 , 01:27 AM
I Really need help. Can anyone help me in Step 4? I juz can't extrude and further scale upwards, I've tried but when i scale upwards, the other part is not in line. And i don't know how to do it. Here is the image that I have done. Can send me the edited copy and I'l try to continue my model from there.

Attached Files
File Type: mb lshapedtorch.mb (62.3 KB, 128 views)