Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-03-2009 , 09:18 PM

UV projections [Q]

I have been helping a member with UV layout.

In the process I have become interested in learning more effective ways to planar map.

With legs that are bent I have seen tutorials where the instructor painstakingly and tediously grabs small groups of verts and rotates and translated them manually to straighten the leg to get a more tubular projection.

I thought heck, I can do that much faster by putting in a fast skeleton and soft binding it.

Sure enough I took an example leg, popped in a skeleton and smooth bind in under a minute, straightened the leg, picked the faces, and grabbed a planar projection.

However, when I went to the UV Texture editor the snapshot is as though the leg was still in the modeling pose (bent)?!?

Why? Can I turn something on/off to stop this behavior? Is there a way to freeze the model in the straightened position so I can project it?

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 2 30-03-2009 , 09:18 PM
after smooth binding skeleton and straightening...

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 30-03-2009 , 09:19 PM
Result of the planar projection on the STRAIGHTENED leg ?!?!?

Attached Images

# 4 10-04-2009 , 06:58 AM
hey...
I have been using the "roadkill" to Uv map this model.This soft is still in it's development stage.But it works fine.The only problem with this soft is u have to uv map the whole model at a time and u have to use edge to separate the model.

link https://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

i have talked to the technical team of RoadKill.Thay said this problem will be resolved in the next version which will not be free. user added image

....well, the problem ur facing is very weird.But i have made a curved surface too,then rigid bind it.Then placed it like the following picture.But I m not facing problwm like u!...But i have used cylindrical project instead of planed.And i think cylindrical is better rather then planer in this case, which will save a lot labor and stretching problem.

# 5 10-04-2009 , 06:26 PM
Thanks Imso,

I have used roadkill in the past. I'll take a look at the latest version. I find that Maya's unwrap uv's added a couple revs back works very well for me.

I found the way to fix the problem I was having. After soft binding and positioning the leg I delete the skeleton which leaves the leg in the extended position along with deleting the history. Then I can either planner or cylindrical project the UV's.

--Rick