Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-02-2003 , 07:34 PM

Best way to get started?

Hi they’re everyone for the first time in the Maya world.

I have just a quick question to start things off, which has most likely been asked a thousand times.
The question is what is the best way to get started in Maya?
Any advice so that I can get underway on the road would be great.

Thanks in advance

Luke

# 2 19-02-2003 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
Actually, you would phrase your question differently... you only need to start... user added image

Enough of that, well, I would get familiar to the tools, hit F1 to learn some basics about the tools and how they work.

If you have some experience to these kind of applications, you maybe wondering about how to create shortcuts, and marking menus for simplifying your work.

There is a free tutorial for making "marking-menues" in the "vip area" on Simply Maya, if I'm not mistaken.

What do you want to learn user added image?

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 19-02-2003 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
getting started eh? well the best way is to create primitives, reshape them into whatever, animate it, shade it, light the scene, render it user added image just do those things in order but very basically and uve got the basics down user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 19-02-2003 , 08:08 PM
Cheers for the quick reply.

Well yes I have started doing the basic stuff in the F1 off maya 4.0 unlimited and I was wondering where to go from there.
I.E books or tutorials I can download.
I have not worked on this kind of software before but I have time, patients and enthusiasm

Cheers

# 5 19-02-2003 , 08:36 PM
Maya 4 fundamentals is a great starting point.......and of course the tutorials on this site are really great....check them out.user added image user added image user added image

# 6 20-02-2003 , 08:42 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the Maya 4 Fundamentals book. I've just bought it and its quickly becoming my bible. user added image

Rage_Matrix

Black House
"Wrapped in metal, wrapped in ivy."
# 7 20-02-2003 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
Hi Lucas,

I'm a newbie myself... user added image

besides the great tutorials at this site, here are also some places with some good tutorials...

this site have some links...
https://www.boris3d.de/tutorials.html
and this one too... -->
https://www.maya3d.dk/links/tutorials/
there might be some of them that are overlapping eachother... user added image

Digital tutors have some video tutorials... -->
*********************************/digita...maya/index.htm
there are also a couple of video tutorials on 3d-palace... -->
https://www.3d-palace.com/modules.php?name=Archives

hope that helps a bit... .)

regards

Strarup

# 8 21-02-2003 , 01:16 PM

Brilliant!!!

Cheers for the replays guys.
I will look into getting the book and those links were tops.
So thanks again.
Should get me on track nicely

Cheers

Lucas

# 9 21-02-2003 , 03:42 PM
Kevin
strarup -

If posting links to sites, please just point to the "tutorial links forum" as this is what it is for.

Many thanks

# 10 23-02-2003 , 05:47 AM
Subscriber
Lucas, one other thing.. just letting you know I have watched some vids on this site and i bought points.. and well, they are awesome. There are the free videos on this site which you should definately watch... but stuff like the UV planar mapping tutorial, and tie fighter tutorial are awesome to watch! Took me 3 minutes to fill out the forum and another 2 minutes i had my points user added image.. consider it if you have your credit card on ya.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 11 23-02-2003 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
Lucas, I just started working with Maya myself. I have some experience with 3ds Max so I kinda knew what I had to learn first and what to hold for later.
I started with the tutorials from Maya (under Instant maya > Tutorials in the help files)
Then I started reading 'essentials' and 'polygonal modeling' (Using Maya) and am still reading them. After that I'll move on to: subdivisions, NURBS, texturing, animation, rendering...
They tend to get boring after a few hours of reading, so try out some things they explain or just look them up in the program.
I suggest you visit some tutorial sites, then pick out some easy ones and try them.
Make sure you watch the movies on this site and digital-tutors. They're really great to learn from.
I bought the 'maya 4.5 savvy' book, wich I'm expecting to arrive in about a week. I'll post a msg on this forum to give you all my impressions of it.

also these sites have some nice forums:
www.cgtalk.com
www.highend3d.com
www.3dbuzz.com
and ofcourse this oneuser added image

that should do it

# 12 24-02-2003 , 07:21 PM
Again tops advice guys.
So glad I came across this forum.
Thanks again to you all and I look forward to hearing what the books like d24e!!!
I did have a quick look in my book shop in town for Fundamentals but no joy.
Will have to get it of the net.