Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-06-2004 , 04:15 PM

Demo reel fun

Last edited by Co0KiEmAn; 05-06-2004 at 05:31 PM.
# 2 05-06-2004 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
wow you have really quite interesting stuff goin' on there!

I liked what I saw..espesially the inside of the mouth andso on...really creative I'd say!

# 3 05-06-2004 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber
Yeh the inside of that mouth was very cool indeed, you really have some neat skills there user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 4 07-06-2004 , 12:11 AM
Yea, that mouth animation started off as a joke because my roommate used to eat dorritos all the time. user added image

Last edited by Co0KiEmAn; 07-06-2004 at 04:05 PM.
# 5 07-06-2004 , 08:59 AM
Is this reel going to be used to apply for work?

the only thing that even slightly impressed me was the animation of the tyres falling... Your reel is (sorry i know this sounds harsh) cliched and uninteresting. Cars and futuristic things... the cars arent even that well modelled (especially the subaru). The BMW is better but you can't see anything on the turntable. I dont think that your modelling is up to standard even for a junior modeller... I'm sorry if that's harsh again but I'm just trying to be honest with you.

I'd work on some original concepts and keep them small. You reel makes it seem like you were just trying to cram everything you've done on your reel and that doesnt work. The thing about the in joke with your roomate is fine but dont put it on your reel it makes no sense to anyone else. The particle effects on that part of the reel were also a bit substandard...

You really need to focus on one aspect of this and really work it hard forget the music and all the flashy stuff it doesnt impress anyone. Just show some nice models and you'll be fine.

Alan

Ps. There's two "l"s in modelling (look at the title page of your reel) user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 07-06-2004 , 04:09 PM
Thanks for the crit Morning!

I would like to use the reel to get me a job eventually, but for now I've just been using it to pick up women at the bar. user added image

Like I said, a lot of it is student work that was done when I was learning Maya (you never stop learning though, right?), so if you think there is anything worth working on or preserving for my next reel, lmk! Thanks guys.

# 7 07-06-2004 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
I watched the reel a couple times, and overall its good but may need some improvements. I like the beginning scene with the trees/grass and how it fades out into white. But most reels I've seen have your name/contact at the end. The only reason I say that.. from the nature scene to a metal room with flashing light doesn't really blend that well.

I'd start it off with the metal door part, but fast forward to where those screens fall from the ceiling and spin, and then where your PIN number is punched in, from there I would fade into another animation. Your staying too long on that punch pad, its looks a lil unanimated, and you don't want it to drag like that it bores the audience. But I do admit I like the digital effects on the screen, but that can easily be done with After FX or something.

Between the Subaru and the BMW... I'd definetly say the BMW is much better, maybe add some texture to it or animate it into a driving sequence. The Mouth sequence looks cool, in terms of texture and modelling, I definetly like that but I would only use a clip of it, maybe from the mouth to halfway down the throat then cut to another scene. Its true what Pure_Morning said, the Dorrito joke would only be funny for you and him. No one else would get it.

As well if your applying for a modelling position, you might want to add some legs to your character figure, I think its a hockey puck. But you don't want the animation studios thinking you don't know how to model legs. If you do that, have a simple walk cycle animated. This way you have a lil bit of everything.

What alot of people do, myself included I know I've had my share of school, is we take all the work we have done in class and put it into our reel. Or we take our best work we've done in class, and extend the scenes some they drag out to fit the 2-4min criteria.

Cookieman, I think you have a lot of good potential. But I'd like to see more... take what you have now, and try to double it. Put all that into a demo reel, where you only see a glimpse of each of your projects and make that your reel. You want to peak your future employers curiousity, if they see a glimpse of your work they may be more likely to call you up for interview to see your work in greater detail in person. Your reel is basically a teaser, representing you.

Ciao,

BillyZ

https://www.verticalincline.com
# 8 07-06-2004 , 06:17 PM

Your reel is basically a teaser, representing you.

I disagree with that. I think your reel should lay your cards flat out on the table. I wouldn't have anywhere near as much work as this (or even what BillyZ| suggested). I would consider refining it down to the BMW and only take that from this reel, possibly the tree animation from the start aswell. It's the only thing that is of a decent standard.

The modelling on the character isn't up to par (if it were just a model to show an animation then it would be fine but it's not).

It's all about content and not quantity.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 9 07-06-2004 , 07:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
there were a couple things I liked about your reel. I liked the opening shot with the trees as it was nice and I like the idea regarding logging in to the interface at the beginning, but I think both were far too long. Also, since you opened up with the interface logging thing, it would have been cool if each major scene was intercut with one of those screens rotating to the next one, although it'd have to be very quick to not be too repititious.

I liked the cars, too. The character and mouth interior thing, I didn't care for much.

I agree with Pure.

Overall, gotta say that nothing really "Wow, that was cool"-ed me. That's not necessarily too bad, as some people can look past that and see potential... but not everyone can, so that should always be the goal.

# 10 07-06-2004 , 08:55 PM
I was sidetracked and never really finished the hockey character which was intended to be more of a charicature in the first place...I took it on/off the tracksheet about 6 times before exporting the cut so I probably should have left it out in the first place lol.

This morning I started work on a marine. Something that shows a little more where I am now as far as modeling goes. The BMW was my second car, the Subaru being the first, and I think I'd like to finish that up and spend some time getting into some serious detail.

It's amazing how much you learn the first/second/third time around when creating something. The Subaru took about 7 months to model, on and off. The BMW was done in about 7 hours...

Do you think I should put some time into refining that intro shot? It was just something I was playing around with one day at my internship, I never really intended to use it.

Anywho, here is a shot of what I did in a couple of hours for my marine guy. I plan on creating some kind of Doom 3-esque monster to complement him. Once I get the proportions where I want them I'll start putting in a little more detail and begin work on the clothes.

user added image

Last edited by Co0KiEmAn; 07-06-2004 at 09:02 PM.
# 11 07-06-2004 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber

quotes

basicly its this...

BillyZ

take what you have now, and try to double it. Put all that into a demo reel, where you only see a glimpse of each of your projects and make that your reel.

Pure_Morning

It's all about content and not quantity.

and...

Pure_Morning

The thing about the in joke with your roomate is fine but dont put it on your reel it makes no sense to anyone else.

BillyZ

Its true what Pure_Morning said, the Dorrito joke would only be funny for you and him. No one else would get it.

why is that so ? I liked the little 'movie'...but personally I wouldn't send this reel....but the part of the mouth I liked the most... That's not why I want to defend it but Im wondering why they would care wheater it's funny or not...isn't the Idea of reel showing what you can... and not wheater you get the point or not...? ..im no pro nore a critic with a sharp eye (yet user added image) ..but this is kinda confusing me... What is a reel all about then...

user added image

# 12 07-06-2004 , 10:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
a reel is to show what you can do.

Yeah, sure, the mouth thing is a viable reel entry, but in my opinion, it wasn't exactly all that impressive. Not as impressive as, say, his cars, for example. But that's why it's shown last I imagine. user added image

# 13 08-06-2004 , 12:06 AM
Ya, it's last for a reason user added image . Here's what I got done today...I'll start adding some detail to the lower torso/legs tomorrow

user added image

# 14 08-06-2004 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
ooh ok user added image ...

but hey nice body...you did some good detailing! like the 8-pack user added image

# 15 08-06-2004 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
This is your final work at the end of college?