Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-07-2004 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber

Balrog

Howdy!

Does anyone know in wich software the Balrog in LOTR where made in, I'm very curioususer added image

# 2 19-07-2004 , 05:26 PM
they say hardware particles in maya...
btw if you achieve a fire that quality that way let me know how...

# 3 19-07-2004 , 05:57 PM
we had a talk from the lead texture guy on the balrog at uni last year and it was pretty complicated stuff. It was mostly hand painted texture maps though and real fire as I recall. Pretty cool stuff...

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 19-07-2004 , 06:18 PM
Elaborate plz...

# 5 20-07-2004 , 08:25 AM
to be honest I really can't remember it was about a year and a half ago. But suffice to say it was pretty hardcore stuff. A lot of it was done with real fire elements i think and then supplemented with renderman shaders and maya particles (but rendered in prman)

Sorry I can't remember user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 22-07-2004 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
On the DVD they say that the fire effect was achieved with particle sprites, using clips of real fire.

I think what makes things so complex is the fact that the fire only emerges from the folds in the Balrog's skin, which is a pretty dynamical thing. Great effect!

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 7 23-07-2004 , 09:05 AM
Anybody has the last collector´s pack of the thing? (ive heard it has zillions of extra hours user added image)

i mean, on the frist dvd out, which is what i saw they dont say much about it except that it is maya and it had a hw pass

how many passes/layers it has?

turbulence/control, what is the control scheme of the fire once it is been fired from the folds?