Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-02-2010 , 08:11 AM
Lifetime Member

snapping points

I have watched a few tutorials now and notice the people (NURBS vertices atm) and they appear to be able to pick multiple vertices?? I can do it with the shift key but they seem to pick theirs without doing this, whats the secret? I have tried reflection, etc etc and I have mucked around with my snap tolerance but it didnt work? They arent using hull mode to do it either.

Cheers Bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 24-02-2010 , 10:17 AM
Lifetime Member
apart from holding the shift key you can drag a selection if you keep the left mouse button down using a box if on the normal select tool or a lasso if you change to lasso select.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 24-02-2010 , 10:22 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks jsprogg,

I use the 'shift' and a box as well, it happens so quick that I dont see a lassoo tool?? I will watch it a few hundred more times in the meantime,

Thanks again.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 24-02-2010 , 10:33 AM
Lifetime Member
lasso select is directly under the normal select tool (second tool down).

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 24-02-2010 , 10:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh got that mate, even set a hotkey for it. The Tutor doesnt use it though, its almost as if he is using hull mode but he isnt.

bullet1968

# 6 24-02-2010 , 05:50 PM
EduSciVis-er
In 2009? and after, if you click a vertex and shift double click on an adjacent vertex, you'll select the whole ring of vertices. There's some variations on that, play around with it. Hope that helps.

# 7 24-02-2010 , 08:58 PM
The Nurb Herd
is it soft selection mode?

you can also use the arrow keys to select rings and loops.

# 8 24-02-2010 , 11:44 PM
Lifetime Member
I dont know stwert, Im running 2008 so I may not be able to. I will have to watch the tutorials again, it was from this site, Kurt Boutilier doing a cartoon dog.

I will check that out hammer, thanks.

bullet1968

# 9 24-02-2010 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
wow, Kurts cartoon dog was in like...Maya....hell, 6.5 or 7 or something, Looooong time ago.

that came out right about the time i joined the boards.

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 10 25-02-2010 , 12:19 AM
Lifetime Member
Jeezzzz, didnt realise that it was that far back!!

bullet1968

# 11 25-02-2010 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
There arnt that many changes to maya since them, its not that much of an issue really. some menu changes, and they changed " edit polygon, and " " poly" to " mesh and edit mesh" things like that, Most all of the tools that were integrated into Maya since were already out there as addon's from Mj poly tools, or just random mel scripts,some were available in koshagaya.

Basically what i[m saying is that it really doesnt matter the age of the tutorial, the basics from what were done remain the same. Some of the menu's might change and some new tools might get added but beyond that it doesnt really effect anything.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 12 25-02-2010 , 02:18 AM
Lifetime Member
I know legend, I use Surveying software for field and office, both CAD based and they move stuff around all of the time (gives me the willies!!). Im new to Maya BUT I am damn keen on it, I have trouble a lot as my brain goes into Survey mode which kind of makes it hard. Now Im trying to use Maya moves and shortcuts in Surveyors CAD's without thinking!!! ha ha ha kind of makes work interesting when roads end up in the wrong place etc.

Im just curious how Kurt was clicking on one vertex but 5,6 10 or in a ring (like hull mode) would be highlighted?? I have similar properties in my work software, kinda like point snap with proximity on, if you know what Im trying to say? I have a pretty good understanding of the basic end results of Maya, as I work with terrain/road/pipe sytem models all of the time. Triangulating for terrain models etc. and designing the estates etc off of Construction drawings, Maya is just more interesting and fun, work sux.

bullet1968

# 13 25-02-2010 , 05:43 AM
It almost sounds like the paint selection brush (just under the lasso in the toolbar). That allows you to 'paint' select your components. With the tool activated, you can press b and left mouse drag to change the size of the brush. ctrl + painting will deselect any selections you made.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 14 25-02-2010 , 05:47 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Nitro,

I will check it out after work, from memory it was a standard cursor.

Just checked it Nitro in my lunchbreak, no its a standard cursor.

Cheers Bullet

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 25-02-2010 at 06:20 AM.
# 15 25-02-2010 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
ohh i remember the days.
i know exactally what you're talking about
(L space @n24d13'22"s<343.27' enter )
or how about my old favorite ( arc click e click r enter 25' )
Used to be a land surveyor myself, did alot of both office and field work, loved it, the field work i mean, hated the office part of it. was fun though, i designed quite a few subdivisions, i assisted in the design and development and grading of a small airport (one of those back yard airport subdivisions for rich people ya know? ) a few other projects did alot of road designs also.

i'm a bit rusty on my cad though to be honest, its been a good. 3 years since i used it alot ( I did an old stint of work for my boss back last summer, but wasnt alot of stuff to do. )

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!