Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-11-2008 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber

Problem with rendering an animation

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Maya and I've encountered a problem that I have no idea how to solve. I'm trying to render an animation but in the "Render Settings" window, the option "name (Multi Frame)" is greyed out in the drop down menu and I can't select it.

I've rendered animations before and I have never encountered this, so if anyone knows how to fix this that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

# 2 09-11-2008 , 11:44 PM
You probably forgot to change the naming convension form single frame, try name#.ext from the dropdown list.

Hope it helps

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 09-11-2008 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, I've tried that, but that renders each frame to a seperate file. What I have done in the past is select "name (Multi Frame)" and select .avi to have it render straight to a video file. This is what i'm trying to do now but it isn't letting me select Multi Frame.

# 4 10-11-2008 , 12:57 AM
rendering avi files out from maya is tempramental, its not very good at keeping the timing very well. Its a general no go.

select the avi file format first and maya will automatically know your doing a multiframe render.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 10-11-2008 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber
thanks LauriePriest,
I managed to get it to Multi Frame but only after changing it to "Render using: Maya Software".
What I was trying to do this time is use mental ray to render the animation. But when I select "mental ray", the option to render as an AVI disapears from the drop-down menu.
Is there any way to render to a video file when using mental ray, or do I have to render each frame seperately?

# 6 10-11-2008 , 10:43 PM
as i just said, dont use avi output out of maya, it will be crap user added image.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 7 11-11-2008 , 02:37 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by LauriePriest
as i just said, dont use avi output out of maya, it will be crap user added image.

QFT!