Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-08-2011 , 05:40 PM

Learning Maya 2009 tutorial problem!

I made this same thread in the wrong topic so im re-posting it here sorry, noob error.

I'm going through 'Learning Maya 2009' and have found myself a little lost.

Here is the part im up too https://www.rzav.net/learning/texture-maps.html

Drapes' texture, color, and alpha channel displayed

It asks you to 'create a Lambert shader with a mapped File texture'.

It then goes on to say "Maya software will automatically detect and connect the alpha channel to the
transparency attribute of the Lambert shader."

but it doesnt seem to be doing this for me, heres a screen of my try.

user added image

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

# 2 28-08-2011 , 05:50 PM
The Nurb Herd
does your texture have an alpha channel?

# 3 28-08-2011 , 06:09 PM
I really dont know, I'm literally following the tut step by step and this is the first time ever using 3d software. I'm a super noob.

# 4 28-08-2011 , 06:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
well its more of a 2D graphics thing.
you may have heard of RGBA before. the A is for Alpha which hold the transparency information as a matte. R - red G - green B - blue.
If you are using a jpeg it wont have an alpha channel, because jpegs can only store 3 channels, RGB. you will need to use a tiff or targa. These can contain the additional transparency information.
Are you familiar with Photoshop? in the channels tab (next to the layers tab, bottom right) you can add a new channel and crete an alpha. but remember to save it out as a tiff or targa.

# 5 28-08-2011 , 06:24 PM
Well the file im using is the one given to me by the tutorial and its a .tif file.

# 6 28-08-2011 , 07:06 PM
I went to the site and do not see where you download the project files. I was going to check the drapes.tif file to verify it has an alpha channel for you.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 29-08-2011 , 04:51 PM
Oh sorry, the site I mentioned is just a reproduction someone must have done from the original tutorial. I acquired the resource from the dvd that comes with the official tutorial.

Do you really think its the picture? I was thinking maybe I screwed up somewhere.

# 8 29-08-2011 , 06:06 PM
That is certainly possible but I thought making sure the picture resource you have works on another system we could at least eliminate that as a possible cause. You could just upload the .tif as long as that would not violate any copyright issues. In the mean time I will find a .tif of make one with an alpha channel and follow the published tutorial instructions and see if it works here for me and let you know.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 9 29-08-2011 , 07:16 PM
Ok I solved it, turns out I did it completely wrong when creating the material. The tutorial says to use the same method above to create the drapes but the method I used previous was to use a lambert material. After going through it like 5-6 more times I realised I had to create the material through 2D Textures, File then upload drapes.tif that way.

Sorry for the silly error, I feel stupid.

Thanks for the help and advice, turns out I was just another noob being a noob.

I do however have another problem which feels like another silly thing to ask but Ill try anyway.

I have wrapped the wall with a marble/window texture given to me again by the tutorial but no matter how much I try to tweak the options in the attribute editor I cant get the windows fixed in the centre inbetween the ceiling and the floor. The windows either split into two or stretch out too far accross the wall.

user added image

Again any help is always appreciated.

# 10 29-08-2011 , 08:38 PM
Glad you resolved it and please do not feel silly there are no bad questions.

# 11 30-08-2011 , 03:43 PM
I'm having some more problems if someone could help.

I have reached the part in the tutorial where I must animate the door.

The tutorial tells me to 'Make sure all of its rotation and translation values are set to 0.'

When I try to change the rotation and translation values it alters the position of my door. Is there a way to keep my door where it is whilst resetting the values to 0?

user added image

# 12 30-08-2011 , 04:34 PM
The reason is because they already have connections to something that is why they are that peach color. Go to the graph editor and delete any keyframes and select all the attributes right click and break all the connections and then you will be able to freeze transforms.

# 13 13-02-2012 , 11:11 AM

Making Drapes in Learning Maya2009 Foundation Book

Hi everybody,

I'm currently studying the Learning Maya 2009 Foundation Book & got stuck on the Drapes Section in Project 1 page 66.

Can anybody tell me how they were done step by step?

Thank you