Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-08-2010 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber

what's wrong with my render? shadows problem

I was trying to follow this tutorial for working on my lighted scenes

https://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/r...s_final_gather

But mine doesn't look quite like that. I have some strange shadows and artifacts if I'm using that term right. I could use some help fixing them.

user added image

Thanks a lot.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 12-08-2010 , 08:30 PM
The thin red line
I think your shadow resolution is set to low, bump it up,,,,,,,,,,,dave

# 3 12-08-2010 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Ok, but now my image looks like a gaussian blur is all over it

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 4 13-08-2010 , 10:30 AM
Wait, are you using depthmap shadows or raytracing?

(Looks like depthmap to me, but I'm not sure. If so, switch to raytracing. If not, well, I'm not quite sure)

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 13-08-2010 at 10:36 AM.
# 5 13-08-2010 , 12:06 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
If you use depth map it projects over all the geometry of the scene the lightrays "touch" so disable the cast shadows attribute of the groundplane , maybe up the resolution if you get stairstepping

# 6 13-08-2010 , 12:12 PM
Wait, does final gather even work with depthmap? I didn't think so, but no one seems to be mentioning that....

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 7 13-08-2010 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
I've had the same problem. Make sure that "use mid distance" is checked under depth map shadows, it's on by default by you might have turned it off by accident. You can also try to increase the bias value, these are the two main attributes to reduce shadow map artifacts.