Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-07-2008 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber

layered textures

im experimenting with layered textures and PS.., heres my starting piont i just made.., spent ages getting reflected light onto the far wall user added image

im going to see how far i can go using textures and displace met and bumps.., maybe spec too

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 20-07-2008 , 10:06 AM
Go for it man!

I'm currently messing about with texturing simple models using mayas own procedural's, daisy chaining bumps, specs, material etc etc. Just so I get a bettter understanding and move away from the simpler approach to shading networks.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 20-07-2008 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber
yea, cool, you've understood layered textures for years.., i hear you about the procedural ones.., i know done well.., as your doing one can get great results.

im still here at it.., theres a lot about them (layered textures thats confusing me.., but ill get it.., worked all day and night yesterday and no updates??

so back at it today until i understand what the hell is actually going on.., whether i have to include separate alphas or what?? im getting odd results.., but i thik i know whats happening.., i applied the layered texture to the wall and it applied itself to everything.., i realised hours later it was using lambert 1.., then i tried it on a single plane after first applying another lambert and after the third file things started to get confusing.., so back to the drawing board..user added image

cheers

# 4 21-07-2008 , 04:33 AM
Have a try wit the mix20 layer shader, I've just installed it with 2008, I had it for 8.5, its really good, gives a lot more control over what the layers are doing.

# 5 21-07-2008 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
havent heard of that one?? i'll look it up.., do you have a lead on it..?? high end maybe??

ive been doing some stuff today and am getting there slowly.., its worth it though

ill show yu what ive done.., then im out of the door for a few days.., definitely this time user added image

the grey tones on the wall really show the lighting up well.., so easy to see mistakes..

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 21-07-2008 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber
this is the shading network.., ive just duplicated the colour network and used it again with a bump node.., im sure you know all this user added image

i will probably take the entire texture into PS at sometime and add drop shadows and such and then just drop the whole thing back in as one.., at 'lock off.' user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 21-07-2008 , 07:22 AM

# 8 22-07-2008 , 08:33 AM
And I'm sad to say it doesn't work with 64-bit Maya :headbang:

# 9 22-07-2008 , 09:18 AM
Ouch! Its a superb little tool, hopefully someone will recompile it for 64 bit.

# 10 24-07-2008 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
just got back.., i have downloaded that shader (i still have the good old 32 bit OS) but havent tried it yet.., its exclusive;y mental ray???? is it??

anyway.., i did some stuff in PS.., created a monochromatic image of it for bump or spec.., then went into maya and emulated what i did there on a nurbs plane and added the bump and this is what i got.., using the layered shader.., i have worked out how to use t now i think.., im working on Jeremy's multi-shader of late.., but until i completely understand it..,

this is the normal layered shader with a bump made of the entire image added.

ill get back to the scene asap.

Muser added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 25-07-2008 , 03:04 AM
Subscriber
still havent got the hang of the layered textures happening.., cant get the hang of it seems hit and miss atm,

got this happening today trying to get this layered textured happening but got caught up in the scene

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 25-07-2008 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber
here is the scene

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 25-07-2008 , 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Thats shaping pretty good, the rehab thing made me chuckle a bit.

- Genny
# 14 25-07-2008 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
thanks mate, yea i got a giggle too.., then i thought.., why the hell did i do that..?? they'll think im crazy (thats an opening user added image )

it'll be far better when i get the hang of the layered shader.., for now i cant get past the second layer??

im going to check mikes free tut on the layered shader.., see if i can find some clues there

i need to know for the challenge too

# 15 26-07-2008 , 05:34 AM
Subscriber
got caught up.., no wiser on the layered shader.., slight update

Last edited by mirek03; 26-07-2008 at 05:37 AM.