Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 18-10-2011 , 11:20 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Your latest pieces are looking pretty good. You don't seem to stay on any one piece long enough to learn much from them. Like you said you're only using the same tools over and over, but you're not improving your technique. I think really investing a bit of time before a piece to gather reference might be a good start. That said, your stuff is definitely getting better though.

You're 27? I think you're almost 10 years our senior! At least for a lot of the guys around here. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 47 19-10-2011 , 12:27 AM
Deep down the crushing truth of your response Mayaniac is true. Gonna try and stay on this gorilla for a while and feel it out. The muscular flow, the fat enveloping, the overall completeness of the model. It is to the point that I can get form on anything. Now I need to progress to the second stage of refinement and then ultimately the alpha stage... Gonna give this one a rest for the day. Have to drive up to Indianapolis for the night tomorrow so I won't update until Friday. You guys take it easy and I will post when I can....

Thanks for the encouraging words guys...

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 20-10-2011 , 10:32 PM

Progress 10.20.2011

Well it has been almost ten days since I started the thread. Thought I might come back to the bust of my dad to begin texturing. Unwrapped him with UVMaster and textured from 3d.sk. Rendered out in BPR. Coming along but def a long way to go...

One is crushed while the other isn't...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 20-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.
# 49 21-10-2011 , 12:43 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
The anatomy study on the gorilla is very cool. These latest renders are looking good too. I was messing around with the BPR rendering as well. Very cool stuff.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 50 21-10-2011 , 02:29 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
like the anatomy on the gorilla not really feeling the bust You seem to be having prportion issues like the distance between the ears and the eyes is just too wide

# 51 21-10-2011 , 03:11 AM
Ahhhh, lets talk about proportions. It is all math in the end. Your head is composed of your the size of your eyes. They make up 2/8 of distance. Therefore your eyes stacked side by side should make 1/2 your head. The other distance would be the middle composed of 2/8 and the sides composed of 1/8. The eye then curves on both ends of the inferior and superior orbitals. These are generally at the 1/16 mark. The head should be 3/4 of the distance in width and depth. Just work off your 1 head scale and in the end you get a complete body that is proportionally sound. The head is 1, the shoulders arch at the next half a head. Your nipple are at the second head. Depending on how low your pubic triangle sinks below the hips your belly button will sink below the third head. The knees are 1/4 above the 6th head and you carry the heel down to the 8th. Arms are 2 1/4 heads as well... Math doesn't lie, the perspective does. The reason you see a proportion issue is not because the ears are in the wrong place. It is because the ears really have been ignored and they aren't protruding toward the mandible and zygomatic arch. Will get to them in due time but that is easy. Thanks for the critique murambi and I hope these proportion guidelines help someone. I will post a pic of the grid in a couple of days to append to this...

I began painting the ecorche of the gorilla today as well...

Posted a proportions model I did a while back. Shows a 8 head scale...
Unfortunately my facial anatomy work is on a Mac drive and I switched to PC since then...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 21-10-2011 at 03:19 AM.
# 52 21-10-2011 , 06:42 PM
Here is a side view of the head and a 45 without the fresnel shader I was using. Just switched back to a basicmaterial and tweaked off of that. Much softer on the eyes...

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 53 21-10-2011 , 08:38 PM
The thin red line
Looking good,Can you get a specular map in zbrush now if so try making one from a caverty map that should make it look better........dave

# 54 22-10-2011 , 04:53 AM

Progress 10.21.2011

Well, worked on the gorilla a bit more today and cleaned up my dads textures as well. Threw his @ss into C4D and rendered out some tests with the SSS and new physical camera. Kind of their ripoff VRay. Allows me to get hair which is all I really want. This render took 1:20 and had GI off a HDRI sphere and 4 lights setup. The sphere only dedicated about 30% of light to the scene. Will work on the brows and lashes tomorrow along with a new hair setup matching more of what he has and not this base "do" that they supply. Gettin closer...

Will start the FaceRobot solve once I get all of this down...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 22-10-2011 at 04:56 AM.
# 55 22-10-2011 , 07:49 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Chavfister.....

I'll be straight......without any gloss.....

Portraits of people are hard -hands down. There's no getting away from that fact regardless of how well you know them or how much reference you have either. I've been there and am still doing it.

Before even attempting half of what you are, stop, sit back and have a good look.

I think you need to seriously tweak that head mesh, the ears are so out of place, and the thickness of the eye lids is too much. the outside of the lids you have there looks like the eyes are too far back or pushed too much toward the center of the head....theres lots of dark there, looks like a 20mm thick eyelid. If you could post an image of your Dad side by side with this then it would be good to get a better comparison.

You spoke of proportions and all that talk earlier in the post....so use that knowledge and apply it. At the moment I'm not seeing it.

Lighting wise -'GI off an HDRI sphere'. Forget it - It doesnt matter right now, you need to see what needs fixing before adding the technical problems of GI, FG, VRAY,Mental Ray or whatever. As its all irrelevant when something isn't correct. The fact is you can throw all the bells and whistles of any 3d package at this but if its not right....

I have never seen a pic of your Dad but I'll put money on the fact this isn't close -possibly a resemblance but not close. I could be wrong......

So as a piece of advice, keep it simple until its 'there' or as near as yo can get it. Then build it up. Attempting photoreal images are hard as I said, and people like me will see the probs.

I could bang on for ages about this and that but I think its just necessary to be honest and point this stuff out so you dont become completely blinded by the nicer comments in the post.

cheers
Jay

# 56 22-10-2011 , 03:48 PM
Hmmmm...

I agree with you that it is not photoreal by any standard. The skin is somewhat too clean and plastic-like but that is the SSS of C4D in some ways. I actually never wanted photoreal because of the whole animation thing. If you get hyperreal you get burned when trying to make them talk. I am happy with something close to the standard of pixar quality but good enough to execute in FaceRobot with my mocap system. Kind of my testing grounds for a bust. Since I have never actually created one before this to a certain likeness. Only been at the 3d game for a little over a year and a half. Gotta keep pushin...

There are many things that need fixing. I agree whole-heartedly with everything that you posted Jay. A work in progress. I have neglected the ears since the beginning but will get to those in the next couple of days. The eyes are weak in my opinion as well. Would kill for my 5D out in LA right now to shoot a "longer" shot but this point and shoot will have to do...

Attached is a frontal side-by-side of my dad. Since the lens is pretty wide and ZBrush isn't I can't really go off of the wrap because of the "barreling" the point and shoot creates....

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 22-10-2011 at 03:57 PM.
# 57 22-10-2011 , 04:11 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You can adjust the zbrush lens to make it the same or as near as you can anyway....go to the menu at the top and go to 'draw' theres a focal shift and elevation control....might help

Jay

# 58 22-10-2011 , 04:26 PM
Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that...

# 59 24-10-2011 , 07:25 AM
Had some fun retopoing and throwing him into FaceRobot. Gonna pull out the Mocap soon and try to get a workflow down then begin refining by going back and improving the sculpt and tweaking when I have my final base mesh locked...

Will also be redefining the topo once again so that I can exploit the wrinkle maps and tendon maps as well. Gonna film my dad doin the FACS system to get a better idea of the edgeflow required...

Below the FR pic is the base untouched. Only thing it is missing is the mouth bag which I did after rendering that out. Sockets are created in FR procedurally.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 24-10-2011 at 07:31 AM.
# 60 28-10-2011 , 03:01 AM

Progress 10.27.2011

So I did a fun sculpt today of Frank. Will work on this as a break between solves in FaceRobot. Been working in XSI mostly the last few days sorting out the soft tissue mapping on several heads as well as shifting back and forth between that and topogun to adjust edgeflow. Learnin, learnin...

Attached Images