Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 10-03-2006 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
Nice start Magicsy,

I wouldn't know where to begin with a humanoid model, so all I can offer is encouragement. Keep it up,

Mat.

# 17 10-03-2006 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
cheers mate np user added image

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 18 10-03-2006 , 05:31 PM

Originally posted by lewisears

2. I was taught that the best way to build a head model is to build each section (eye sockets, mouth, nose and ears in seperate peices, using the create polygon tool and extruding the edges from the first peice,this will give you more control over the shapes. Once this is complete, you can start combing and linking up the peices..

Thats is a great way to do it, I learned by creating curves round the reference pic's and aligning them via the front and side viewprots then using the create poly tool with the snap to vert command then onto the append polygon tool, I do find that the box way of doin it is a lot faster!!

I think its horses for courses to be honest like you said!!

Great how theres so many ways to do stuff!

# 19 16-03-2006 , 03:23 AM
Subscriber
you beat me (I know its not a competition) hands down but as I look through the different WIP and look at the heads and bodies it seems to me that they can never be life like because most people are using a mirror method of some sort. Whether instancing (I barely know what it means) or straight poly mirror; the human head is not symmetrical. If you get a picture of Anybod's face and then cut it in half and mirror the separate halves you get completely different looking people (hope this is making sense) so if one wants photo-realism I can't see how it can be achieved via ANY mirror method,
The difference between the right side of the head and the left side of the head are SSOO different in real life that I can't even imagine going back in after the event to change one side a little???

great work.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 20 16-03-2006 , 03:39 PM
I think the Idea is to do it symetrical get it really good like that, join the two sides, then add detail to the differeing sides, I saw a really great walk through, here it is

https://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/dobby/

It goes thorugh the whole process.

# 21 17-03-2006 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
excellent, thank you I will check it out, I just threw the question at Jay also, before reading your reply. thanks for the link.

take it easy and life will be easy