Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-02-2007 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber

MAC vs PC

I don’t know if this is the right forum for this but here goes. I have been playing around with Maya for a few years and have decided to get serious with it this year and learn ZBrush. so before I buy my own version of Maya ( I use my room mates) and ZBrush, should I be thinking about switching to a Mac? I have a pretty up to date PC and high end Graphics card, I know Mac used to be the Graphic art standard but is it still? I see lots of plug in's for Maya for PC are there less for Mac? :bow:

# 2 02-02-2007 , 09:59 AM
Theres no difference, there is in the useability and this is where you will get the divide of opinion, to me Macs look pretty, but are limitted in the hardware, software (unless you want to run windows under bootcamp, hence whats the point of having 2 Os's??)

As for Graphics standard, I think lots of studios run Pc's more than Macs

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 02-02-2007 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
If I had the money to buy the latest g5 with those new woodcrest xeon processors. I would! They are the fastest processors on the planet. Every benchmark every where will show that.

www.papalati.com
# 4 02-02-2007 , 02:05 PM
Acid44
DONT BUY A MAC!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE THE OPITAMY OF EVILE

i say use good old windows its easier

# 5 02-02-2007 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
Im not a MAC user, but I will just say this....

We as pc users have always been used to the windows format....

WINDOWS = DATABASE

...the same was for those of us who remember dos.

Now look at MAC OS, hierarchy...yes, but ever thing does not lie folder within folder with folder within subfolder, oh wait dont forget to uncheck hidden files and folders to find another group of folders with folders.

Dont forget to make sure that all those extensions are in place.

Having to upgrade your drivers every other month.

Making sure that your firewall is up to date and your antivirus is running with updated definitions.

Dont forget to run your spyware programs all 5 of them.

Now I realize I am throwing the lot of the problems all at once. But not one of these is a fabrication.

Just the other day I got a call from a client I built a system for that used to use macs. She called up panicking that she cant find the "start bar" and doesnt know what to do. She said she never had to worry about a start bar before.

The last mac I owned was a Apple II GS which was actually at the same time the first macintosh was being released.

I only have knowledge of the newer macs from school.

To put it simply...

A monkey could not run windows, but he could run a mac. :lmao:

www.papalati.com
# 6 02-02-2007 , 02:38 PM
Acid44
true but ummmm... i got nothin

user added image

# 7 02-02-2007 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
:lmao:

www.papalati.com
# 8 02-02-2007 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
"Theres no difference, there is in the useability and this is where you will get the divide of opinion, to me Macs look pretty, but are limitted in the hardware, software (unless you want to run windows under bootcamp, hence whats the point of having 2 Os's??)"

totally agree...

wasnt there a thread like this 2 months back i remember?

"A monkey could not run windows, but he could run a mac."

soo true lol, btw how do you do them extra emotion(little faces)

# 9 02-02-2007 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
Macs suck face it.:p

Go windows more compatible.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 10 02-02-2007 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanks!!

Thanks! You all confirmed what I thought. I really did not want to change to Mac anyway.
:attn:

# 11 02-02-2007 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber

WoW!

I am currently attending Gnomon online Classes and I found this post tonight. Even more reason to not get the Mac

Posteduser added imageosted: Sat Jan 27 19:55:34 PST 2007 Post Subject: lighting problems

I'm having some lighting problems. I will set up the shot and get the lights the way I want them . But if I move the camera the lights pretty much disapperar. Is any one else having this problem.

I'm using a mac A pretty good one I think.

Any help would be great. Here are my specs

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 02-02-2007 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
Ive got both mac and windows, (intel, dont even bother with boot camp, don't like windows set up, yes a monkey can run on a mac' I'd go for the mac any day.)

took me months to figure windows took me days to figure the mac, beautiful machines, no doubt about it,

I got the Mac because a lot of pro studios use them, and I had to learn them, but this is something i do not regret. whats good enough for the pros is good enough for me; final cut pro i a beautiful editing suite i have learned to love, that too is very friendly along with the packages that go with it, Motion, Soundtrack, DVD pro, ect, very nice software.., and i have lots of different widows software from Avid to CuBase, Fusion aftereffects ect., the Mac is soooo nice

i could not praise the 24 inch Intel tiger mac enough. the new vista OS for windows already has a bad rep (heard some very bad things about the windows to microsoft connection, bad privacy issues, check it out), while tiger/leopard is looking good.

my 3 cents worth.., go Mac! windows is fine too, also depends on how much one is prepared to put into Maya, one gets what they put in no matter what the OS.

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 02-02-2007 at 05:51 PM.
# 13 02-02-2007 , 07:53 PM
Macs vs. PC is pointless. I think why people in 2D graphics use Macs is that they look more pretty (according to most people, not me) and the people doing graphics always have works of art hanging around their studio so having a generic beige box will spoil the evironment.

From a hardware point of view, both a PC and a Mac using Intel will have the same processors (if you know where to look, you can buy dual or even quad socket Xeon system boards with support for 32 GB of RAM for PC), the same graphics cards, the same hard drives, the same everything except for case and bundled OS. In my opinion, most the performance from a Mac comes from its OS, which is much more better at given itself a smaller footprint, unlike Windows which suffers from software bloat and other stuff, although you can just get yourself Linux.

# 14 02-02-2007 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
ummmm?? my friend, I think you must be joking that 'artists' prefer macs because they are prettier, there are many 'artists ' on this forum, including you and we are all no differant. you are corect that Macs are pretty, but no serious' artist' would buy a computer based on its appearance. performance is everything when handling huge files, video or audio or the process of rendering (100%).

no no, Macs are much ore user riendly and artists, if anything (dont quote me) may be a little lazy when it comes to bothering tolearn the ins and outs of an OS jst to use an app properly, something one forgoes when using a mac. believe me, 8 months ago I would have put my hands up for the PC, but then again, who would trust a guy with a face like Bil Gates?? I must have been blinded by science.

anyway,the reasons you mentioned sound good enough, whatever they mean, small footprint..,yea, that s user added image I like them because they take a small shoe user added image

i agree, a piontless argument, but a valid question !

take it easy and life will be easy
# 15 02-02-2007 , 08:46 PM
mirek03 > '...I think you must be joking that 'artists' prefer macs because they are prettier...'

Yeah, I was joking there. But some people do judge computers according to looks, an example being a friend of mine who is a bit fanatical when it comes to the appearence of the case...

mirek03 > 'Macs are much more user friendly'

I always hear that, but in my case, Mac OS is more difficult to use than anything I have ever used (DOS, Windows, SUSE Linux, Lindows). But on stability and reliability and speed, it beats Windows a hundred times.

mirek03 > '...who would trust a guy with a face like Bil Gates??'

lol!! I agree. All the 'dial home' things in Vista and the checking for illegal copies.... By the way, have you seen his mugshots on Wikipedia from the 70s?