Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-07-2006 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber

Make a hole

I have a surface, and want make a hole in it, with the shape of a cylinder. I know the make hole tool, but the result don´t fit the surface. how can i do that?

# 2 26-07-2006 , 09:36 PM
what do you mean when you say the result doesn't fit the surface?

if it just doesn't look right on your display, one thing you have to remember is that the tesselation of nurbs in a viewport doesn't necessarily reflect the actual geometry... try rendering it to see if it did what you wanted it to, and if you don't like looking at a messed up version you can always open the atribute editor for the item in question and check the 'display render tesselation' button under the tesselation options tab.

at the same time, if you didn't get the result you were hoping for at all, you can try creating a nurbs circle of the size you want the hole to be. select the circle and then the object you want the hole in, and choose 'project curve onto surface'. after that, just do a trim.

maybe a screenshot might help us give you a more accurate solution to your problem *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 01-08-2006 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber
thank you!
when you can explain how i use the trim tool i´m very glad.
I com from germany, and i speak the school english. I think that is the reason why i do not understand what the program want´s from me. sorry for that very bad news! I learn maya since four months and make the greatest things for that time.I think so, but the easiest things i can´t do.

# 4 01-08-2006 , 06:07 PM
if you are still looking for how to make a trim on an object, you should be able to find a few good examples in maya's help file, but here's a quickie. after projecting your curve onto your surface, choose the trim tool, and click on the object you want to trim. it'll turn the object white and where you can trim you'll see a thick white border. click on the part you want to keep, and hit enter.

if there's more to it than that i can't remember... i'm at work without access to maya.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 03-08-2006 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
thank you for teaching. in the future you can be proud of my scenes and you can say, that you was the guy who teached me!

# 6 04-08-2006 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
It was that what you have sad. After rendering the hole is really round and not with edges as in the pers view.
thanks!

# 7 07-08-2006 , 04:47 PM
Here's something else you can try, Mayastatic...keep in mind, this is just a basic idea; you can exploit it and manipulate it however you see fit ^.^

1) create a simple cube, scale it up by about 5 in all directions.

2) translate it down in Y so that its uppermost face is BELOW the grid origin.

3) in the top view, use the custom polygon tool to create some random shape...it doesn't matter what, but make sure it "fits" the size of the cube face.

4) select the polygon face and the cube and combine them

5) change your select-by-type to faces, and select the poly FIRST and the cube's face SECOND

6) Edit Polygons -> Make Hole

You'll notice that it has multiple operations...fiddle around with them, it'll be pretty obvious as to what each one does.

Happy hole-making ^.^