Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-04-2007 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber

need help with dgs_material setting

hey guys, well ived created a sword and need help in getting the material texture right ... soo far ived added in dgs_materials, though i dont know what to put the settings on... also do i have to add in HDRI? appriciate it user added image

thanks, marlon

# 2 24-04-2007 , 02:20 PM

# 3 24-04-2007 , 02:55 PM
Waht does it look like at the moment? I generally use a Blinn Material over a DGs, as you get more control

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 25-04-2007 , 02:55 AM
Subscriber
here you guys go, my newb long sword ... lol at my handle

"I generally use a Blinn Material over a DGs, as you get more control"

how does that method work steve?

user added image

# 5 25-04-2007 , 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

# 6 25-04-2007 , 07:42 AM
Hey Marlon

For a reflective material to reflect it needs an environment, if you've got a HDR image add that to the scene via the mental ray render globals tab (its either in imaged based lighting or in environment, depending on the version of maya you have)

I never really use the mental ray materials, only the SSS materials, I feel that I can get the same results using the blinn or phong materials with more control over how the metal looks, end of the day its just personal prefference. All the material for the guitar I made were all blinn's.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 27-04-2007 , 09:59 PM
Subscriber
yeah there seems to be alot of people wanting to know how to make objects shiny like swords etc :S

"I never really use the mental ray materials, only the SSS materials, I feel that I can get the same results using the blinn or phong materials with more control over how the metal looks, end of the day its just personal prefference. All the material for the guitar I made were all blinn's"

hmm interesting chris ... some time ill try the two and compare which one would be better of for me user added image

ived added in the hdri ... how can i make this look much better and REAL?

user added image