Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-05-2009 , 06:49 PM

Room WIP

Hey guys, This started out as primarly a exercise to try to get my rendering up to snuff, and see how far i could do it on my own. This is what i have so far. I will be adding more objects i know its rather empty now

user added image

user added image

# 2 11-05-2009 , 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Not off to a bad start user added image. The light direction seems a bit off though plus the shadowing is really hard.

- Genny
# 3 11-05-2009 , 08:22 PM
thanksuser added image Yeah i havent touch shadows yet besides turning them on haha

# 4 12-05-2009 , 08:29 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
i hope the wind stays down where your room is, otherwise you"ll have a submarineroom if i look at the background image LOL

- get rid of sharp edges
- give the floor a dirtmap it's to clean(mess with a fractal on the specular color swatch that usually does the trick)
- floors usually don't have that large chunks of floorboards
-see the attachment for more info on the floor
- Shadows don't match the expectation of your background image so you will have to match the lightdirection to your image backplate

- when i do interiors i start out by off course making the global shape of the room and then place and scale cubes around the room to match a chair ,a book a tv, and place all off those objects in a layer which i call ref layer and then start modeling this way you know for the most part how much you have to make and the scale of it , this gives you a goal which makes your progress much quicker, now your probably thinking what to do next?

Attached Images
# 5 13-05-2009 , 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by mastone
..when i do interiors i start out by off course making the global shape of the room and then place and scale cubes around the room to match a chair ,a book a tv, and place all off those objects in a layer which i call ref layer and then start modeling this way you know for the most part how much you have to make and the scale of it...

Agreed. A nice addition to that is throwing a human reference in there, throw some cubes together and make yourself a stick ...err block man.

- Genny
# 6 14-05-2009 , 02:46 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback. This is my first time really trying to get into rendering, so i expect it not to be near or close to perfect. Yeah I have a love hate thing with the background picture, i love the picture took it on vacation. But at the same time something doesnt seem right haha. I just love how the sun looks with that partly cloud cover

# 7 14-05-2009 , 02:46 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback. This is my first time really trying to get into rendering, so i expect it not to be near or close to perfect. Yeah I have a love hate thing with the background picture, i love the picture took it on vacation. But at the same time something doesnt seem right haha. I just love how the sun looks with that partly cloud cover