Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-05-2009 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber

From paper to 3D model.

Hey all.

I'm new here. I'm currently just working with 3D/game design on a hobby basis, but in August ill start my Bachelor Education in Game Design.

Enough about me!

Ive done the 6in1 model and texture parts(turned out pretty ok for my first attempt at anything 3d), and like most tutorials Ive seen they all include side/front pictures.

But what when you have drawn a finished sketch of say a character, what do you do to start modeling it? Do you use the image for reference, or do you sketch up front/sideview of the character and use imageplanes?

# 2 26-05-2009 , 12:58 PM
well I say both, I have learned that modeling with out image planes can be abit to model in the dark.

And ref images are also good to see certain areas.

so for your answer have both.

# 3 26-05-2009 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber
theres a free tut on here about that.., modeling some character (and a dog) from image planes.

theres as many ways to model as there are people.., whatever works for you is how its done. check out the free tuts here.

i didnt make them but i did a lot of them!

the tuts ive sen for models usually come with top, side and front, but character can be different i guess.., now you mention it.., usually side and front

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy