Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-04-2003 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber

Character rigging (new free tut)

KEVIN(not Iz), great tutorial, for some reason I couldn't figure out how to do the rigging at all. I remeber trying for a while but i must be F'n blind for not seeing the "Joint Tool"

Anyways well done and all that, but my reason for posting was that i was wondering about how to use the skeleton! I got you're bulldog all rigged but moving the joints, well moves the joints and not the model! I know that this is probably just another checkbox somewhere but i think maya has like 3409587345976 different boxes. So i figure one of you guys could help, Thx so much.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 13-04-2003 at 06:13 AM.
# 2 13-04-2003 , 04:16 AM
Actually, I didn't do that particular tutuser added image

I think Mike, Craig, or Kevin did it...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 13-04-2003 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
LOL oops it does say Kevin, read the wrong thing but anyone could answer my question!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 4 13-04-2003 , 06:20 AM
You need to bind the mesh to the joints. Select the root joint of the skeleton, shift-select the mesh, then go to Skin > Bind Skin > Smooth Skin. At the default settings, you may get some ok deformations. Chance are you'll have to edit the vertex weights (Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Paint Skin Weights Tool options box).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 13-04-2003 , 06:31 AM
The Maya Mountain
If you ever get a chance, try my VIP character rigging vids... I go over this process.

# 6 14-04-2003 , 11:41 AM
Kevin
yep follow dannys way on this, but if you get chance or have the pennys then mikes one is im much more detial, my one was more of a "the tools" etc..kind of video, as where mikes whole process is more carefully structured so the skeleton will work a lot better when rigged.