Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 21-09-2003 , 03:04 AM
Subscriber
Ah but when it's done and it works, it can be
soooooooo satisfying user added image

Good luck.

# 62 29-09-2003 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber
Well I thought I would post an update as progress has been rather slow, but updates are due.

Apologies if it isn't very good but this is the first time I have ever painted textures from scratch like this. I usually use photos and play around with them so this has been an eye opener in more ways than one. If it looked like the time it had taken I'd be redoing the roof of the Sistine chapel now, chortle. Please don't mind the gaps, some of my masks have a few lines and they'll get fixed later when I merge etc; it's not the uv map which has turned out to be well worth the effort; no stretching and nastiness. Good stuff the dannytools, recommended.

A note on the ogre head, I found a black and white sketch on the net after a google search and painted it in in PS - thus the original drawing is not mine. I jjust wanted to mention that as it would not be right to credit the sketch as mine. The bad painting is though!

At the end I shall list all the tuts and things I used (unless anyone wants some now). I already sent some emails to people thanking them for their tuts, but I'd like to say a public thanks as we go along; the great ideas are theirs, the rather bad art remains mine 8).

Attached Thumbnails
# 63 29-09-2003 , 01:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
Nice progress, Witchy. Hope you get done on time!

# 64 29-09-2003 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber
Gorgeous textures..... !!! (I could do with a tut or 2!)
Thats a really naaasty looking guy on the Breastplate!
Nice artwork user added image The bloke's texture is very cool also user added image

I just looked again, hey I love those eyes on the character,
and the lined faces are just right....

Regards Scraggy

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 29-09-2003 at 08:33 PM.
# 65 29-09-2003 , 03:04 AM
Subscriber
Hey, well done Witchy user added image

Love the texturing, especially the beard.
Glad to see that the UV mapping worked out.

Was starting to worry that you had commited
hari kari user added image

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing the whole lot
now.

# 66 30-09-2003 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys, I am afraid I only finished the one chap in the end, so I just posted him; I thought it was better to expend the effort getting one as right as possible in the time rather than try and work on two at once.

I've learnt loads of new things this challenge, filled with firsts! Most enjoyable, thanks Mike and sorry I did not complete both guys. Has been really challenging and good fun. Thanks to all for their helpful ideas and suggestions too.

I'll add a list of tutorials and things I used later in case anyone might find them useful.

Last edited by Witchy; 30-09-2003 at 11:40 PM.
# 67 01-10-2003 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
Hey well done my friend user added image

Just seen your entry, been dying to see that dwarf and you've done a first rate job on him, congratulations.

As for not finnishing them both, well I think it's a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing them both, but you did the right thing and made one a priority, and got it finnished.

I really like the texturing, good rusting effects and motifs like the dragon. Very good modelling too.

Like you, I say hats off to Mike and SM for the challenge, it's taught me a lot too.

Again, well done Witchy user added image

Chris

# 68 01-10-2003 , 05:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
Nice job on finishing! Good luck! As noted in the topic thread, all those that finish have the option of recieving a personal critique from me, privately. If you'd rather not, that's fine, but let me know.

:thumbsup: