Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 16-10-2003 , 09:02 PM
How does the flash supressor work anyways?

# 32 16-10-2003 , 09:30 PM
Subscriber
When a weapon is fired, lets take the M16 as an example, ignited propellent gases follow the bullet out of the barrel causing a flash or flame like effect. This is because the gases that have 'exploded' to propel the bullet from the weapon are not fully expended by the act of firing and react with the oxygen in the air. Because the faster these gases are expanded the quicker the reaction is over, the design of the flash suppressor is such that it allows the gas to be spread more quickly than if it were just coming from the end of the barrel - hence the vents you see in the pictures.

A flash eliminator or suppressor has these vents that spread the gases out of the top and sides of the rifle as well as from the front of the barrel, allowing the gases to escape in a number of directions, thus reducing the volume and duration of the flash. It depends on the type, size and vent location as to how effective it is in reducing the flash overall.

The flash also needs reducing so an enemy cannot easily pinpoint the firer and also to aid the firer in resighting the weapon for further shots etc, because a large flash is distracting. They are also necessary when using some types of NVDs as an unsuppressed flash can wipe out a night sight picture.

A muzzle brake/break is similar to the suppressor but is designed to minimise recoil by disseminating the gases in a similar way. By pushing the gases out in a number of directions there is less rise in the barrel as there is less direct reaction from the bullet exiting. It can be incorporated into a suppressor. Muzzle breaks by themselves can actually increase overall muzzle flash and are usually sole fitted to sporting guns not military weapons.

Neither reduce the noise of the weapon, but they do change it and you can hear the difference in a rifle fired with it's suppressor on and off.

Last edited by Witchy; 16-10-2003 at 09:32 PM.
# 33 16-10-2003 , 10:17 PM
Thanks for the detailed explaination, I knew it was for minimizing flash duration.

Will probably not texture this in a while, got a project/challenge against /with Silver to do.

# 34 16-10-2003 , 10:32 PM
Witchy, Haha. Were you in the military? Besides, you probably would not use a silencer on that gun anyway. Two things make the boom. The escaping gas and the sonic boom of the bullit passing the speed of sound. That is why you always see MP5's and berretas with them because they use a sub-sonic 9mm round along with the silencer.

# 35 16-10-2003 , 10:35 PM
There was no talk about a silencer anyways user added image

# 36 16-10-2003 , 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Zyk0tiK
yeah, and sink the silencer in a bit to give it a more realistic look. all it takes is a couple of extrude faces, an extra 20 polys maybe, but it's worth the polysuser added image

sorry, did not keap reading. My bad

# 37 16-10-2003 , 11:09 PM
Yikes Witchy. You scare me. user added image
Cool model Greyfox.

# 38 17-10-2003 , 01:45 AM

Originally posted by RickStefani sorry, did not keap reading. My bad

hehe, well he meant the flash suppressor user added image

# 39 17-10-2003 , 02:33 AM
silencers (aka suppressors) also make the gun less accurate. at close quarters it wont make much difference, however a supressor can throw the bullet off target atleast 6 degrees.

# 40 17-10-2003 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber
>>Witchy, Haha. Were you in the military?

Yes.

>>Yikes Witchy. You scare me.

Not as much as you scare me mate LOL user added image

>>however a supressor can throw the bullet off target atleast 6 degrees.

Depends, most military ones don't have much variation to speak of at all, it tends to be retro fitted civiliuan / post ban ones that suffer from problems.

And I know it seems picky but silencers and suppressors are not the same thing. I'm a nerd I know, but they are very different and for different things.

Last edited by Witchy; 17-10-2003 at 02:39 AM.
# 41 20-10-2003 , 09:42 PM

Attached Images
# 42 20-10-2003 , 09:45 PM
Here's on from the front, btw this guy will be equiped with the M16 user added image

Attached Images
# 43 20-10-2003 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber
Witha a lot of imagination it could be a soldier user added image

Hehe, well...keep up the work

I suppose u are keeping the poly-count as low as humanily possible, aren't u?

# 44 20-10-2003 , 09:57 PM
Btw, I want to point out that this is just the basic shape so far. user added image

# 45 20-10-2003 , 09:59 PM
Early to crit. The uniform seems dated though (ref).