Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-10-2002 , 01:10 PM

mental ray shaders

with the new mental ray for maya 1.5 you can use mental ray shaders so does anybody know how to compile the public shaders in the src folder of mental ray ?
thanx
toniobe

# 2 10-10-2002 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber
Hey toniobe, whats the difference between a maya shader and the mentalray shader?

And why is there special shaders for mental ray?

Im really curious, and I hope you can answer these questions.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 14-10-2002 , 01:12 PM
hi, please excuse me for the response delay
mental ray is using (as renderman and actually any renderer) it's own shaders to render an image.These shaders are something like a *.mi file.
Mental ray for maya is a plug wich will translate the maya scene to a mental ray scene and all the maya shaders to equivalent mental ray shaders.But since mental ray for maya 1.5 you can use mental ray shaders directly within maya . So you can use all the fonctions of these shaders and even write your own.
Mental Ray is using C or C++ languages for its shaders and scenes.With the mental ray realease there are many public shaders provided but these are *.c files and i don't know how to compile them to *.mi files...
I know the theory but nothing about C++ and advanced rendering so i'm trying to learn and it's everything but easy !
You can already use mental ray shaders within maya and i really would like to find a tut about these because i can't do nothing with them.
Hope these few knowledges answer your questions
and please excuse my poor english
toniobe

# 4 15-10-2002 , 12:50 PM

renderman,mental ray

hi people , i keep hearing about renderman and mental ray , where can a get them from.

# 5 15-10-2002 , 03:19 PM

Last edited by adldesigner; 15-10-2002 at 03:24 PM.