Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-03-2008 , 06:34 AM

Team Phoenix Searching Modelers

Hello, this is Andreas from " Team Phoenix " Currently we're searching 2-3 Experienced modelers to our new game Phoenix Realms : The Three Cities , You will get payed after a few months. The FAQ of game is :

What is Project Phoenix?

Project Phoenix is an Open Source MMORPG. A good place to start would be to look at the Home page or the Background page. Although Project Phoenix is being developed with limited resources, we are confident that by using simple, innovative features and focussing on immersion and gameplay we can create a unique game which will be fun to play.

Is this Warhammer? Why are the names different?
Although this started as a tribute to Warhammer Online, the team decided to create our own world for maximum control and minimal lawsuits. So in response, this is not Warhammer but our very own world. As such, we have our very own cities, countries, and gods, and all of these have their very own, original, names, so don't be surprised if you don't see Sigmar or The Empire anywhere.

What are the starting races?

So far we've decided to include Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, and Ogres as starting races. Notice that these were the same for the original Warhammer Online.

Can I play as Skaven?

In short, no. As this is not Warhammer and is not licenced by Games Workshop, we cannot use anything they created or named. For now, there are no rat men, and if we do eventually decide to add them, don't expect Skaven.

I've never heard of Warhammer Online, what's the big deal anyway?

Warhammer Online was a MMORPG by Games Workshop set in the Warhammer World, that was set to be released somewhere around early 2005. By 2004 it already had a community numbering in the hundreds, maybe more, which spoke for its reputation. Unfortunately, the game received little publicity and was cancelled without warning in July 2004. There is now a new version of the game, WAR, under development, however it is not the same game as the original.

Will there be a choice of weapons?

Yes, of course! We are planning many different types of weapon for the game.

Will there be magic?

Yes, we're working on a system which reflects the Winds of Magic, using different forms of magic with different characteristics. There will be an element of danger when casting a spell, and we hope to have some sort of daemon manifestation event included.

Will orcs and goblins be included?

Yes, and there was discussion of featuring the orcs as a playable race, but don't get your hopes up.

Will you be able to ride things?

We are hoping to include mounts, although its one of the less important priorities at this early stage.

How much of an effect will careers have, and will they be integrated into the game?

The Career system was of the most anticipated features of WHO. Anyone who has played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay will know how much the concept of having character development based around careers adds to the roleplaying aspect of the game, and negates the need for 'level grinding' found in so many other games. The career system will be one of the core elements of the game, and will define the nature of your character. Instead of saying "I'm a level 25 Warrior" you will be able to say "I'm a Mercenary Sergeant based out of Malwendale, but I used to be a Hunter before I decided to join a Mercenary company and managed to gain myself a promotion."

How will you be given the possibility to learn a career?

Each career has certain entry requirements which need to be met before you can start it. These are mostly concerned with being good enough to do the job, ie having the right skill levels, although some careers will require you to have also reached a level of Fame and Wealth.

There will be 'career starters' scattered around the Three Cities - NPCs who you need to approach before joining a career. For basic careers these will be plentiful and easy to find, but will become harder to track down for more advanced careers. Some careers will require a special quest to be carried out before joining that career - these will be given to you when you talk to the career starter.

Will career skills be available to refer to?

To a certain extent. Players should have enough information to be able to choose which career they would rather take for their character, while leaving a few surprises to discover as they progress.

How will you progess?

Character progression will be through skill advancement. As you use the skills you have, they will improve. Each career will have certain skills available to learn, but they will have a limit to how far you will be able to progress with those skills.

Can you later on restart a career to learn the other career paths?

Yes, absolutely. At every stage of the game you will be free to move to whichever career you want, as long as the entry requirements are met. If you have the entry requirements for a career then you will be able to join it no matter what career you are currently following.

So for example, if my Mercenary decided he wanted to try something different, he could become a Horseman for a while, learning some new skills from that career, and then go back to being a Mercenary, or even apply to become a Mercenary Sergeant straight from Horseman if he met the entry requirements.

Almost all Advanced careers will require you to have learnt skills from at least two Basic careers. The Career paths are not meant to be linear, they are more of a tangled web which gives characters the opportunity to jump around from career to career to develop their own unique background.

Will you forget careers as you learn new ones?

Careers will never be forgotten, but if you move to a new career path skills not related to your new career path will decrease. Career paths relate to the starting careers - Thug, Sellsword, Militia, Scout, Rascal, Petty Thief, Novice and Scribe.

If you stay within the same career path, then the skills you learn will never decrease. When you change career paths, then any skills you learnt from your previous career path which are not possible to learn in the new career path will gradually decrease.

How can I become involved?

You can join an existing design team, talk to one of the Project Phoenix mods, or post on the team list on the forum. Keep in mind to state your area of interest and skills.

Will you be able to play on Linux?

Hopefully. The game is being developed using the Crystal Space engine which is compatible with Linux.

When will the game be out?

When it's finished. As the game is being developed we will be providing occasional releases of the game engine as new features are added for testing, but these should not be considered finished versions. Hopefully we should have a complete, finished initial version ready in a year or two.

How much will it cost?

We will be offering the game for free, maybe with optional charges for those who want extra bonuses.

Where will you get the money to copyright the game and realease it?

The setup costs should be very small because of the nature of the project. Any costs incurred will be met by donations and from the advert site (see the main page for link), and some members of the team are likely to put money of their own in.

Where will you get the money to burn the cds and print the books?

The client will be downloadable and any documentation will be online in PDF format or simply posted as pages of the website, so any books will be online and there will be no cds.

How many people are programing it, and do they get paid or are they doing just for the fun of it?

There are only a few programmers on the development team - we are always looking for more. They are all working on a voluntary basis.

Project Phoenix © 2008. All rights reserved.

Please Mail me or add me on MSN : Support_inferno@hotmail.com

-Regards
-Andreas / Project Phoenix © 2008. All rights reserved.

# 2 20-03-2008 , 02:13 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, and I am only speaking for me, there might be plenty of people who disagree with me, but:

Do you have to stay with the same races and creatures that are familiar to everyone? Ogres, Dwarves, Elves, they're overused. If this is a game that is heavily based on Warhammer, fine, but if you can find any variation from the same tired theme, I know I would appreciate it, and maybe others like me out there.

Good luck with Project Phoenix.

# 3 20-03-2008 , 02:46 AM
Hehe , it's not the only races... But yeah it's true their overused... But you know anything better ? no thought so

# 4 21-03-2008 , 01:09 PM
deleted

# 5 23-03-2008 , 05:34 AM
I wonder why people try to compete with everquest, wow guild wars and soon warhammer online, try something new fantasy isnt the only setting in the world and if you are a huge fan of fantasy then try a different approach, I find it hard that small companies should compete with larger corporation like blizzard/activision.

Take pox nora for an example, a minor company influed by a fantasy card system made a simple turn based strategy game that is popular becouse it speaks to the fans more then huge RTS games.

Find a small crowd and specialize in what they like instead of aiming at the huge crowd that mmorpg is, there are already to many of these games out.

Well this is just my opinion but I wish you the best of luck and I do hope that you manage to create a warhammer game that makes us warhammer lovers happy. user added image

PS I'm sorry if I got the wrong idea about your game but it sounds very similar to other mmorpg warhammer/warhammer influenced games.

# 6 23-03-2008 , 09:48 AM
Senior Software Developer
TBH watch out for Stargate Worlds. The Stargate MMORPG from the hit series.

I had worked on a project exactly like this for free, to build up a CV, but the engine was crap, the coding was a little dodgy and the project leader when to Uni full time at the start of the game creation and passed the majority of the work onto others, needless to say they changed engine 3 times and for myself (Environment & Lead 3D Artist), it became a pain as I had to retouch and reexport every model. So the project folded and it was a bit of a waste. Not much was learnt from me and most of the work cannot be used in a Protfolio, due to it being very low poly, so its of no real use to me now or was covered under a non disclosure agreement.

No offence, I really hope you get it off the ground, but you have sum major competion in both the indie and corporate markets. MMO's are great but there are too many floating around for free play and free download. Just be aware what your getting into and be ready for the long haul. Maybe look at using Steam to get the product into the public eye, marketing is going to be key for you later in development.

Anyway Good Luck with it, and I did see the engine you chose and it seemed like a good choice to me.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 25-03-2008 , 11:23 AM
Just as you know guy's we got people with 15 years of experience inside this team, say whatever you want but we're finishing this project!

# 8 25-03-2008 , 02:06 PM
Senior Software Developer
sk8r

Your being a little defensive, its a good luck wish m8. I just hope you know what you and the team are heading for. Even though you may have ppl with 15 yrs of indie work experience, doesn't make it any easier.

As I said Good Luck

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)