Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-04-2014 , 10:16 PM

How to attach cloth to a mesh

Hello,
I am working on a character and got to the point where I would attach the cloth to the mesh but, I'm having serious problems.
I tried using wrap deformer, it works fine on places like the dress because there is no much twisting on that part but, when the character is overstretched (eg. Bending fingers with gloves [wraped to the fingers] on them) the cloth will be becoming flat to the point where the mesh will show through the cloth.
I cannot use nCloth because it's murder on my system as it would require more memory and ram which my system don't have enough (4gram). I'm trying to manage it till by some way I get a bigger one.

Can anyone please suggest if there is any solution for the wrap deformer so it could be stretched to any length and still keep up with the mesh's topology. Or a way nCloth could work well with my ram or Any other means I could get to attach the cloth to mesh and deform the mesh to any proportion and still have the cloth behaving correctly.

Tutorial links for the solutions would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

# 2 08-04-2014 , 03:34 AM
Technical Director
Usually you would remove the body underneath the clothing to avoid these penetration errors. You could also mitigate them by adding more edge loops into both pieces of geometry in those areas.

In a feature production there is an entire team called final layout that takes care of things like this.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 08-04-2014 , 08:40 AM
if i remove the body under nCloth, how will it get the form of the body? i mean, if i'm simulating a t-shirt, and the body underneath is removed, the t-shirt will just fall down.

# 4 09-04-2014 , 09:53 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
mickhah

I would suggest binding the cloth to the same rig as the character first....then start do your simulation....its easier for the cloth.

Duncan Brimsmead of auto desk has a very good tutorial to follow...its similar to something I learned a while back...https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/duncan/page/6

just take your time, and soak up the info....

With regard to removing geo thats not the case. Im currently working as a character td here at Framestore running cloth and muscle sims....although alot of my stuff is scripted theres still some fundamental tasks that are required to setup - the general way to speed up cloth is to build a low res collider (proxy version of your body) and then run your simulation over that. Also generally one or two divisions on the cloth is good enough...Mayas n cloth will do the rest...once the sim is done you can bake the cache out and then run it with your hi res character....

anyway check out the tute its very good

Jay

# 5 09-04-2014 , 11:53 AM
yes, i know that way to work. i was just curious about previous post and thought that i missed something about nCloth simulation.

# 6 09-04-2014 , 11:56 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
nope, that all you need to do at this stage