Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-07-2016 , 08:36 PM

[Python-Scripting]Deleting non-default read-only cameras.

So i'm writing a python script that saves different shots from a scene in different .ma files.For each shot,only its camera should exist in its .ma file(besides the default ones like persp,front,etc...).Everything was working fine until i tested in one scene where there is this orthographic cameras that i never saw before(they were probably created by the artist).When my script tries to delete it, this message shows up:

# Error: Cannot delete 'Camera4:left' as it has locked or read-only children. #

and the script simply ignore this cameras e continue doing its work.

I tried use the command maya.cmds.lockNode(cam,lock = False) before the maya.cmds.delete(cam) but it seems that the real problem is that this cameras are read-only type.

Any way to delete them? thanks!

# 2 19-07-2016 , 10:05 PM
Technical Director
Your file probably has references in it. You'll either need to import them into the scene, or add support for them into your script.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.