Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-03-2006 , 06:03 AM

well thats a let down..

wow that sucked...*tosses the will to use 3d app in garbage*

I was sitting around reading vid tutorials on maya when I discovered that PLE give the friggin hideous advertiement all over the renders. I thought well how much is the full to get rid of this mess, come to find out you have to pay six grand simply to get rid of this? how the hell are you guys affording this without professional sponsors?

# 2 07-03-2006 , 06:11 AM
Ya, these programs are very expensive. PLE should be fine. The watermark isnt that bad, and considering its free, thats very generous of Alias. Some people take a post secondary education course on Maya, which is how they get access. Some might buy the full version. Some might illegally download it. Some might just stick to PLE user added image

# 3 07-03-2006 , 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Coldfire
Some might illegally download it.

But I would very much not advise this. :p

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 4 07-03-2006 , 11:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
$2000 for complete, which gives all most people need. Still not cheap, but not quite $6k either.

# 5 08-03-2006 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber
sudents get discount ~300-500 the final cost comes out to be. plus-sometimes- free training material along with purchase.

# 6 09-03-2006 , 05:16 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
$2000 for complete, which gives all most people need. Still not cheap, but not quite $6k either.

Uh I gotthe price from maya's mains website. cheack the online store. To me its a ripoff to pay $2000 to get rid of watermarks..Im still trying to figure out how all the newer modelers get ahold of such softwaresince I really doubt everyone can buy this straight out, or how they " test" maya PLE when you cant see your final work.

In short way too many red flags being raised on the software.

# 7 09-03-2006 , 06:17 AM
There are plenty of cheaper (Lightwave) and even FREE (Blender) alternatives.

Lightwave is actually quite affordable right now and with the upgrade coming soon it is a very professional and powerful package.

I haven't used Blender, but have seen some interesting and impressive things done with it.

There is also a SLEW of less expensive apps that focus more on modeling and rendering with basic keyframe animation.

Think positive, dude!

Dave

# 8 09-03-2006 , 06:33 AM
The Maya Mountain
Just checked it myself:

Maya Complete 7 - $1999
3DS Max 8 - $3495

Yes, not cheap. Cheaper than Max, though. lol user added image

# 9 09-03-2006 , 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Galvatron
Uh I gotthe price from maya's mains website. cheack the online store. To me its a ripoff to pay $2000 to get rid of watermarks..Im still trying to figure out how all the newer modelers get ahold of such softwaresince I really doubt everyone can buy this straight out, or how they " test" maya PLE when you cant see your final work.

well undoubtedly alot of illegal copying goes on using peer to peer programs.

It is all well and good saying it is a ripoff "just to remove watermarks" but if I am not mistaken, it is also against the agreement that you make when you download PLE to use any of the images commercially.

The purpose of the watermark is at least partially to stop you from doing that. If you wanted to commercially produce any images using maya, then you would have to pay. no doubt if you were involved in a commercial enterprise, you would be expecting to have better returns than $2000, so the price is not that bad. Add to all of this that Alias/Autodesk is a business, and it's not like they can make money by giving away their software for free user added image

# 10 09-03-2006 , 09:57 PM
I just bought, for my birthday, a year long licence for non-commercial use on Maya 6.5= about... 200$. I do this for 3ds Max too, and for Silo3d (im considering it, the program owns)

Live the life you love, love the life you live