Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-08-2006 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber

toon shaders

i have recently been playing with toon shaders and i find the name in many ways mis-represents the shaders. they are great for fill lights, and all sorts of reflected light and stuff life that that would be very hard to animate, advanced logging techniques are hard to animate but with the toon shaders it makes animation easy.

any thoughts on this..?

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 02-09-2006 , 07:21 AM
Subscriber
I haven't played with the toon shader yet. Having worked in the traditional animation realm all of this time, the LAST thing I want to do is emulate 2D in a 3D program! :-)

I am very intrigued as to using the toon shader as a fill light (assuming I got that right). Have you a technique for that, Mirek? If so, care to share?

At some point I intend to play with it as well. The excellent book "Stop Staring" devotes equal time to lip-synching "toon shaded" characters and the usual 3D models...

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 3 02-09-2006 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber
LT Jim i have got that, and i will share it but gotta go to uni, i haven't a tut as such but its a theroy, check out the toon shaders as they reacte to light and britghness, so i figure it could be used in advanced lghting for animation. i hear you about not getting involved with more toon shaders as toon shaders but even as those.., the toon shaders are good, if only for the way the two tone and three tone, ect reacte with light.

i'll get onto ASAP

# 4 03-09-2006 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber
Jim, this might not be something new but i kind of think it has potential but i am not good enough. It is enough to say that the lights in Maya do not act like real light, so i hope you can see this picture OK. there is only one spotlight but there seems to be definition like reflected light if you look closely at the shadowed part of the ball, this shader reacts to brightness and light. It is the two tone shader. it has linear interpolation, and looks like it has a slight fill. remember before anything, this is the first time i have put this to theory. when i wrote the first post i was wondering if anybody knew more about them. they seem over looked and i think it is the word 'toon' that puts people off a bit. they are great for that because i did try a sort of anime and it was quiet incredible.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mirek03; 03-09-2006 at 01:08 AM.
# 5 03-09-2006 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
I DO like the effect, Mirek! I imagine the toon shader can be used to shade certain foreground & background objects as well as characters.

I'm going to play around with it when I have a bit of down time and see what I can come up with.

Have fun with it!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 6 03-09-2006 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
cool, then there will be two of us on it. far out!
Muser added image

# 7 03-09-2006 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
i played around with the ring toon shader a bit, the other was the two tone toon.

i still am a fair way off but...

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 03-09-2006 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
this was the attributes, dont really know exactly what i was doing but...

Attached Thumbnails