Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-03-2005 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber

Problems splitting Polys

I find that occassionally when attempting to split polys, the tool will not allow me to split to the edge that I want to. Is this because the tool likes to split the edge/vertex closest to the current split, which isn't always the one you want to split to. If so, is there an override button? or a way around this?

I'm finding at the minute I'm having to create an extra split in order to complete the original split the direction I want to go.

# 2 02-03-2005 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber
split poly tool will only create a split between 2 edges that do not have another edge in the way.

There is no way to get round it really. If you want to split from edge A to edge D, you will have to split from A to B, B to C, C to D to get it done user added image

# 3 02-03-2005 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
I know that you can only split to the closest edge, but what I am saying is, occassionally it wont let me split the nearest edge that I want to and wondered why not user added image

# 4 02-03-2005 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
Oh I see, well that has happend on occasion with me, and it's normally down the fact that I have done something stupid like duplicating the edge. The two edges lie on top of each other, so when I'm thinking I'm moving onto the next logical edge with the split tool, I am in fact the second edge is blocking my path. user added image

If that still doesnt help post a screen shot of what your having trouble with. Does the script editor give any erros when you try and split the poly?

Last edited by azimuth; 02-03-2005 at 09:13 PM.
# 5 03-03-2005 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, I'll check if I have duplicated any of the edges, there appears to be no errors, though when I have attempted to split the edge that wont allow me to, on the error line reads the message (I can't remember excatly) tells you how to use the tool, like I'm using it incorrectly, though it is being used in the exact manner as it was when it has worked. :S