Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-02-2006 , 10:35 PM

Maya PLE about to go?

# 2 20-02-2006 , 11:17 PM
stupid decision.. as 30 days is way to little to let students learn and understand their app.. there only hurting themselfs with it..

Why do they think microsoft offers all software free through msdnaa to students.. just so later on they will know how to work with them and buy them user added image

# 3 21-02-2006 , 07:14 PM
depends if they want that market, depends on if they decide to push maya in that market more, depends if they are removing old stuff in preparation of bringing out new cheap cut down versions like other companies have etc..

a lot of depends user added image

lets hope they at least do something as the mod market looks to be increasing...

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 21-02-2006 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
wat is gmax?

plus they shouldnt get rid of ple just look how many of us here use it will be like shooting themselfs in the foot
user added image

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 21-02-2006 , 11:00 PM
Gmax is a cut down version of 3DSMax so that you can create models/animations for games without forking out any money. It was a damn good idea in my eyes and got me into the basics of modern 3D interfaces before I moved onto maya.

Its only speculation about PLE btw.

www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 21-02-2006 at 11:03 PM.
# 6 21-02-2006 , 11:22 PM
Actually the point I was making:

Autodesk owns Maya AND 3dsMax

Maya has Maya PLE
3dsmax has Gmax

Autodesk cut Gmax... will they do the same to both? Wouldn't exactly make sense to cut your core product in favour of a new recently-purchased competing product -- kinda like saying "Yea, we knew we sucked all along... but now we can't lose money because of it!"

wat is gmax?

plus they shouldnt get rid of ple just look how many of us here use it will be like shooting themselfs in the foot
user added image

How are they shooting themselves in the foot? They own most of the market... who will they go to? XSI? If they go 3d modelling, they need to use one of Autodesk's packages. And if the educational license is like Discreet's 3dsmax student license... they can make 'em pay every year... oposed to giving away product for free.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 21-02-2006 at 11:27 PM.
# 7 22-02-2006 , 11:56 AM
I think it'll all be linked into what happens in general with the two products over time. No need to worry yet tho user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 8 22-02-2006 , 06:39 PM
user added image Why would you think they would need to use one of Autodesk products?

3 modelling can als be done in xsi, lightwave, blender, silo, cinema4d, rhino, modo and what not... Though maya and max contain a large market share it is definitly not that these 2 apps are the only ones on the market...

Originally posted by Phopojijo

How are they shooting themselves in the foot? They own most of the market... who will they go to? XSI? If they go 3d modelling, they need to use one of Autodesk's packages. And if the educational license is like Discreet's 3dsmax student license... they can make 'em pay every year... oposed to giving away product for free.

# 9 22-02-2006 , 07:44 PM

Originally posted by pixelsoul
user added image Why would you think they would need to use one of Autodesk products?

3 modelling can als be done in xsi, lightwave, blender, silo, cinema4d, rhino, modo and what not... Though maya and max contain a large market share it is definitly not that these 2 apps are the only ones on the market...

Really out of the entire list XSI and Lightwave are really the only ones with any chance under the sun to take on Maya/Max. Add in the fact that most commercial renderers (Gelato, Renderman, and I believe even Mental Ray) only work for one of the two renderers -- not a whole lot of options for most production houses.

Add in a lot of those modellers can't even animate or do other basic things... its not looking too good.

# 10 24-02-2006 , 12:57 AM
You can still get gmax here. I installed it recently at home to do some quake 3 modding, and I use max at work. It looks like it has all the basics you'd want from max for making game models, and if you want to learn max I definitely recommend checking it out, I certainly wish I'd found it when I was learning! I hope I get round to starting my modding this weekend....

# 11 24-02-2006 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
that links weird it just installs hmonitor (temp monitior for pc cpu and motheb, fans ect) not gmax

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 12 25-02-2006 , 03:21 AM
i learned GMax right before learning 3ds Max, and it is very similar. (except that gmax is made after like... Max 5 or 6 and I learned Max 8 but still..) it is a good learning tool

Live the life you love, love the life you live