Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 17-09-2006 , 09:17 PM

Why Does My Rollercoaster Flip ? (see My Scene)

Hi all,

I need help too fix a problem. I try to make a simple rollercoaster but the cars always flip on the curve. I've got the same problem either when i use motion path or ik spline.

It has something to do with the tangent of the curve.

See my scene https://sauge1.free.fr/test.mb

Of course with an ik spline you can use the "roll" attribute to fix the problem or the "twist" with motion path but i what i really wonder is if there is is a clean way to do it instead. A way with no flip to deal with.

This problem always occurs when you want to make a motion path or ik spline with an "extreme" curve and i've never been able to fix it and nobody yet could tell me how.

I know that i could use the pointOnSurface technique but it's not very handy for a rollercoaster for example. Moreover i'm sure there is a easiest way.

Thanks a lot for your help.