Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-09-2006 , 11:44 PM

webpage design

Hey all...i'm a fairly new artist trying to get into the industry (I graduated from the Toronto Film School earlier this year)...I made a website so i can have an "online portoflio" to show my work

I'm fairly new to webdesigning....i was wondering if some of you could tell me what you think of my site..and any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!.....

thanks a lot...and the address is:

https://jean-charles3d.com

feel free to contact me through my e-mail given on the page

*not sure if this is the best place to ask this..i apologize in advance if it isn't...*

# 2 14-09-2006 , 08:28 AM
Hello.

Not a bad site, better than anything I've ever made - but then, I have no purpose for my own site. I wrote quite a lot of comments, just don't take them too harshly.

Anyways I think it needs some tweaking with the colors and the fonts. The colors in the web site don't really suit each other, by that I mean when you look at one part of the page and then to another, the colors seem to be at conflict with each other.

If I were to use my own colors, the dark background would go nicely with silver borders. and the areas where there needs to be text I would use a slightly lighter but dark background with grey or white text depending on the shade.

Having seen that you have just used solid color for the different sections and borders, use textures - it makes it much more interesting to view. But then, your reasons for not doing so may be bandwith and load times.

Title: I would suggest that you remove the shadows, in my opinion they kinda jumble all the letters up.

And change the fonts, I'm guessing that you have used Fixsys - the defualt OS font. I would use something a lot smoother and simple, like Arial or Verdana - a lot of creative businesses use them (me too).

Also, it would be nice to remove the highlighted 'Updates' yellow is a color that really shoudn't be used in webpages. You probaly highlighted it so it would stand out, but it would be better if you put it in a frame.

I like the Flash animation a lot, if you made the animation yourself then your pretty good at it. However the head which you have on the left top corner above the animation kind of doesn't fit. You want a page that looks busy and full of activity. The large empty space left of the head isn't good. I would put something there to fill in the space.

And you spelt afterwards as 'afterwords'.

Anyway, what I think is not what you or others think. Hope you read it all and decide wether you agree with my comments or not.

# 3 14-09-2006 , 04:11 PM
thanks a lot the architect...i actually agree with pretty much everything you said.....i was kind struggling with what the colors/fonts should be....i'll have to play around with it some more....and i'll use your suggestions as well for colors...

the flash logo yes i did make myself..and i was actually gonna have it fade to something else at the end but i haven't gotten to that yet.....and the head ontop....yah..it does look kinda plain..i'll have to figure something out to put there...or just take it out ...or..i was thinking about putting it in the dark blue/navy section on the left...that is currently empty..that might work..

i also haven't really made the "banners" on the other pages yet so i'll have to upload some better ones

again thanks a lot for you input...i'm taking it into consideration and i'll make some changes...if anyone else has some comments i would like to here them..thanks!