Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 31-05-2009 , 06:58 AM
Technical Director
Looks better mate.

One thing I would suggest, is when you're posting wireframes, to use wireframe on shaded, instead of selecting the object, as it's hard to paint over it.

Here is a really quick sketch of what your geometry should approximately look like. This keeps the poly count down, but also traces all the majors forms and muscles that you will need if you plan on animating this at some time.
user added image

This one is just some quickie changes in your form.
user added image

By the way, do you use a Radeon card? Maya does that quite a bit with them.

Take it easy, and good luck on exams! I have my own coming up user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 32 31-05-2009 , 06:59 AM
Technical Director
Looks better mate.

One thing I would suggest, is when you're posting wireframes, to use wireframe on shaded, instead of selecting the object, as it's hard to paint over it.

Here is a really quick sketch of what your geometry should approximately look like. This keeps the poly count down, but also traces all the majors forms and muscles that you will need if you plan on animating this at some time.
user added image

This one is just some quickie changes in your form.
user added image

Take it easy, and good luck on your exams! I have my own coming up user added image

# 33 31-05-2009 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
looks like you should put up some ambient lighting that doesnt cast shadows because it looks like you are trying to model in the shading too

take it easy and life will be easy
# 34 31-05-2009 , 09:47 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
thanks guys user added image

Originally posted by NextDesign
[B
[/B]

yep, and its a laptop

that will really help user added image
I really shouldn't start up maya today, I need to revise
its so tempting.....

# 35 31-05-2009 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber
Ha...know the feeling! I'm best man at a wedding in Greece on Friday, flying out tuesday...havn't finished writing the speech yet and really need to get it done but finding it hard to tell myself to leave Maya alone!

# 36 31-05-2009 , 12:31 PM
Looking a lot better, though as I said previously you could reduce the poly count and define the topology better to refine the mesh.

Good luck with your exams.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 37 31-05-2009 , 03:50 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
thanks
I found its impossible to revise for 5 hours straight so I started blocking out the arm
I havent had much luck redirecting edge flow, I think im going to print a screen shot and draw lines on it
in a lot of meshes ive looked at the lines from the nose flow around the mouth and a few of the higher ones around the eye, instead of round the side of the head like in mine. Should I have mine like this?

Attached Images

Last edited by elephantinc; 31-05-2009 at 04:05 PM.
# 38 31-05-2009 , 04:45 PM
Technical Director
One thing that I learned that helped a huge amount, was to draw your topology in photoshop first. Then load THAT as an image plane, and model off it. It helps you stay focused on what you need to do.

# 39 14-06-2009 , 04:21 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Is this better edge flow? (if it isnt please tell me because I saved the old one)
I still have a lot of cleaning up to do after it

Attached Images
# 40 14-06-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
it looks better than before

it might just be me but your eye sockets look too straight on (like how they were with your dog)
you should angle them a bit more and make the bridge of the nose not so stick-out-ish

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 41 15-06-2009 , 01:10 AM
Technical Director
The eyeballs should be rotated roughly 10 degrees outwards.

The mesh is looking better, but it still lacks the organic feel. Take a look at the muscles in the face, then look at my topology example again. Try to make it close to that.