Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-03-2010 , 06:29 AM
Subscriber

graphics card problem

Since changing to ATI v5600 i can no longer snap to curves i know how weired it sounds i upgraded from a v5100 because the drivers werent being updated and i had display probs with manipulators...any thoughts?

free memory low..exception thrown
# 2 09-03-2010 , 04:06 PM
Sounds like you are using the latest ATI drivers for the card?

I had a lot of problems with ATI drivers a long time ago and that is why I switched to NVIDIA cards. I know nvidia is not on top of the performance chart atm but I have always found their drivers to be much more stable then ATI.

I have a friend that uses ATI cards though and runs Maya I will drop him a line and see what feedback I can get from him.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 09-03-2010 , 04:13 PM
Is that the FireGL v5600 ATI card? I just spoke to my friend and he says that card is certified to work with Maya so he is surprised that you are having problems with it.

He suggested going to the autodesk site and verifying that the version of the driver you are using is the one that was certified to work with your version of Maya. Sometimes the latest version of the drivers may not be certified.

What version of maya and os are you running?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 09-03-2010 , 04:24 PM
I checked and it looks like version 8.634 of was the last certified ATI driver for windows. I think that is windows 7, vista business, and xp pro both 32 and 64-bit.

If you are running a different version you might want to try rolling back to that version and verify that the problem with snapping still exists. If it does then I am not sure what would be causing snapping not to work.

update: Well there is one thing other then gfx card drivers that dawned on me. I recently responded to someone that was having a similar problem and it turned out that his kid reprogrammed his mouses middle mouse button function. Do all the other middle mouse combo things work like grid (x) and vertex (v) snapping or middle mouse dragging things on the shelf work?

Last edited by ctbram; 09-03-2010 at 10:56 PM.
# 5 14-03-2010 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys, i am going to try the earlier driver, v and x snap both work, somtimes when i just go to move verts etc the manipulator jumps in one direction and snaps them together, i have tochange the view port and keep trying.

Let you know how i get on

cheers

free memory low..exception thrown