Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-11-2003 , 10:17 PM

Particles+Rigid bodies: Timeline playback not rendering!

Basically, what i'm doing is a keyframeless animation with particles and rigid bodies...sort of a chain of events type thing. It's quite short.

Anyway I was told to set the Timeline->Playback speed to Play Every Frame , with Playback by: 10. (so every 10 frames)

So I set everything up that way and it seems to work fine playing back every 10 frames... the particles push the ball and the ball hits the hinge and then falls into a cup.

My problem is, when I put it back to every 1 frame, OR i try to render, nothing happens (the particles don't push the ball and nothing happens).

How could I get around this? How can I tell it to render what it sees in the preview every 10 frames?

I tried doing a batch render of .jpg's every 10 frames but that doesnt work either...sigh

Any help would be greatly appreciated...no..more than greatly..i'd be forever in your debt.

# 2 27-11-2003 , 12:16 AM
Not sure if I understand you, but did you make sure that in your RENDER GLOBALS, you have set it to "Playback by: 10" in there as well as in your animation prefs?

Let us knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 27-11-2003 , 03:25 AM

Originally posted by ragecgi
Not sure if I understand you, but did you make sure that in your RENDER GLOBALS, you have set it to "Playback by: 10" in there as well as in your animation prefs?

Let us knowuser added image

If you mean the "By Frame: " setting, then yes I tried that, but that only works when rendering a .jpg /static image with name.ext# it seems? It still doesnt have the same effect as simply pressing play and watching it run through every 10 frames.

Maybe this will make it clearer: in settings/preferences, if I change the PlayEveryFrame to play ever 1 frame, instead of 10 , the particles/rigid bodies react totally differently. What I _want_ to happen happens only when it's playing back at every 10 frames previewed and there seems no way to render it ;(

- Lesia

# 4 27-11-2003 , 05:40 AM
Sorry if I sound dense here with my questions, hehe, but just for my info gathering so I can try to help you out, let me see if I understand you:

1. Just fyi:
The idea behind "Play every frame" when dealing with dynamic simulations, or "keyframeless animation", is that in order for maya to correctly calculate the perparticle and/or rigid body collisions, it needs the data calculated from the frame DIRECTLY before it to extrapolate the next frame.

2. So, if you are essentially "skipping ahead" 9 frames to see the next part of the simulation, it may break, not work at all, or give you false simulation data.
(which I think is what is happening here)

3. If this is the case, you can do one of 2 things to try and fix your problem:

3a. Say your animation is 100 frames long, but you are only seeing/wanting every 10th frame, you can reset your playback by to 1, and set your actual frame length to only 30 frames, as that is all you are interested in seeing, and hare happy with anyway.

or

3b. You could "bake" your dynamic simulation using the above frames by going to: (Edit > Keys > Bake Simulation > ) or you can immediately bake (Edit > Keys > Bake Simulation) with the currently set options.

Also, more fyi on "play every frame":
It Displays all the frames of your animation. Each frame is updated completely before proceeding to the next one.
Specify the exact rate in the Playback by box. This rate reflects your system's ability to draw your animation on screen and is not necessarily a real-time, correct dynamic simulation or playback mode.

Also, This ensures that Maya won't skip frames, which is often a cause of a simulation problem.

..did any of that help at all?

If not, lemme knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 27-11-2003 , 09:02 AM
Hey user added image thanks so much...
yeah
it seems as though my professor wasn't quite aware of this issue when he suggested i set everything up while being at Play every Frame, play by frame: 10.

when you said "2. So, if you are essentially "skipping ahead" 9 frames to see the next part of the simulation, it may break, not work at all, or give you false simulation data."
yeah thats what's happening.

however i'm not sure what you mean by:
"you can reset your playback by to 1, and set your actual frame length to only 30 frames, as that is all you are interested in seeing, and hare happy with anyway"
Which specific options are you talking about here?

I tried to bake the animation at every 10 frames ....which nicely made all the little keyframes, and then tried to render it and it didn't work. sigh

# 6 27-11-2003 , 09:13 AM
is there any way i can get it to just render every 10th frame as seen in the preview window without going in there and pressing it manually, saving each image, and then editing it all together?

# 7 17-03-2021 , 10:54 AM
i am having a problem in batch rendering can anyone help me sort it out??

i am using maya 18 and redshift...i created a quick rig and i downloaded a mocap from rokoko and i used human ik to connect the animation to my rig using source then i made cloth simulationin a different file and i also created xgen hair in a different file and simulated all....basically all the obejects are simulated in different files using the same mocap..and i merged it all in a single file using reference...but when i try to render it its all getting messed up all the objects are not in place...its cached and using the same animation...i also created a playblast of it its completely fine but when i batch render it its creating problems ...i really dont know what to do??...i feel when i am creating playblast its playing the simulation so its not creating problems but when i am batch rendering its reading a single frame at a time so the objects aren't following properly??...whats the solution