Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-12-2011 , 05:46 PM

polygon plane used for image plane issues

Hi I'm doing a class project that requires image plans as the reference for a model. I created orthographic views for the image planes. I am using the book "Introduction to Maya 2011" as a reference. In this book it recommends using polygon planes with a lambert text of your drawing applied to it instead of image planes.
The big problem i'm having is getting the image to scale properly on the polygon plane. The method in the book requires you to scale the polygon plane to the same aspect ratio as the source image used in the lambert's color texture. Problem is that it's not working at all for me. Should i just use regular image planes instead or is there a lot of advantages to using polygon planes?

thanks.

# 2 05-12-2011 , 11:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
First create the poly plane with the right aspect ratio (I usually get the pixel dimensions and divide by 100 or something like that). Then do a planar projection for the UVs (not sure if that's critical, the UVs might be right by default, but better to be safe). Then apply your file texture. Hope that helps.

# 3 05-12-2011 , 11:41 PM
The thin red line
you can do create UVs planer mapping on your poly plane that should fix that, there are pros and cons with most things in maya, pros are you can move the plane around easy and save to layer so you dont move it when its where you want it, main con for me is if you go to wire mode your image will also be in wire mode......dave

Edit:Stwert snap

Last edited by daverave; 05-12-2011 at 11:50 PM.
# 4 06-12-2011 , 11:25 AM
thanks. Yes the layers was the big benefit according to the book, I can see why. I didn't think about the wireframe though. Ok I did have the planes the same aspect ratio as the source files but i didn't check the planar mapping cheers for that guys.

# 5 06-12-2011 , 12:20 PM
Usually what I do is use the photoshop bridge info to set the height and width of the poly plane (see image marked 1 and 4 to see I set the h=13.9 and the w=13.9). This just ensures the proper aspect ratio you can scale it afterwards.

Then create a lambert and click on the checkered box to the right of the color slot (see image marked 2) in this shot I already have set the file for the color so there is a black arrow where the checkered box would be.

Then browse to the image file (see image marked 3)

Then assign the lambert to the poly plane

Then AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT go to the poly plane creation node and drop down the create uv's box and set normalization off. Otherwise you will not always get the proper coverage. (see image marked 4)

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-12-2011 at 12:22 PM.
# 6 06-12-2011 , 08:39 PM
hi ct, that's great. So you can actually get the aspect ratio from bridge, nice. Are you using hypershade for the lambert much, or are all those attributes set in the channel/attribute editor?

Also CT i'm going to link a drawing for my final class project. I'd like you to tell me what modeling approach would be easiest, it doesn't need to be super accurate. I'm not really ready for patch modelling. I even thought of extruding the front view shape along a path as you did in your keg video. I started off importing a series of curves from illustrator. I was going to loft a cross section of it, but maybe just polygon modelling with smoothing would be best for a beginner. But yeah if you could just tell me what approach would be the easiest for my drawings. Again the model doesn't have to be super accurate, it's an intro class.
I put a link up because the image attachments seem to get wiped fairy quickly.

project drawings

thanks
-Kevin

# 7 06-12-2011 , 10:23 PM
Well you create the lambert in the hypdershade then use the channel box to set the color to point to a file (by clicking the checkered box).

I looked at your reference image. It kind of depends on what was taught in you course and the method that the instructor expects you to use.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 06-12-2011 , 10:28 PM
First the instructor wanted us to do all polygon modelling but then he told me maybe I should do lofting. I don't think I have the time left to try both methods properly.

# 9 06-12-2011 , 10:36 PM
Is the instructor teaching any of this stuff or is he just dumping you in the deep end of the pool and saying figure it out or drowned I don't care which?

You could loft a set of section curves like the fuse from this thread https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35873

Or you could start from a cylinder and model the right side of the body shape from that.

Or you could draw a curve along the top profile and the bottom and loft between those two curves and then add edge loops one at a time and message them using the top and front image as a guide.

But I think the easiest for a beginner would be start with a plane at the front and then extrude it back along the length of the body adjusting the verts to the image planes as you go. Adjust the verts at the top, and bottom, and belt line first as you can see those in silhouette from the reference images and the in between edges you will have to just adjust by feel.

I don't want to go into to much detail as this is a school project. But if the teacher has not demonstrated any of this stuff I am not sure how you are supposed to figure it out without asking for help from someplace or looking for tuts online.

Last edited by ctbram; 06-12-2011 at 11:11 PM.
# 10 08-12-2011 , 03:56 AM
Rick i like the model of the fighter plane. That's a great post. I'm going to try lofting my drawing like that except simplified... keeping it all one piece etc. thanks

# 11 08-12-2011 , 05:06 AM
Lifetime Member
"Then AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT go to the poly plane creation node and drop down the create uv's box and set normalization off."
ctbram, I did not know this. I just used to adjust the uv to fill the full 0,0 to 1,1 range.