Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-08-2011 , 01:38 PM
rm3d

use background shader

hey guys a quick question, i like doing matchmoving stuff, but is "use background shader" the best way to add shadows under objects? its just when i use it, i tend to be able to see a faint line or edge where the poly plane i am using to apply the shader to, ends and the actual background takes over (usually its slightly darker where the poly plane is). is it just that i haven't set it up correctly?

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 23-08-2011 , 03:55 PM
Technical Director
Try scaling up the plane, so you don't get shadows ending.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 23-08-2011 , 04:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
sounds like you are using final gather and its bounce light.

# 4 23-08-2011 , 05:22 PM
rm3d
yea honest i am and i noticed that was the problem, if i turned of receive final gather cast on the poly plane it solved the issue, except that the shadow is a lot weaker.

and yea nextdesign thats defiantly the easiest way out user added image i was just hoping there would be another way for those times that scaling the plane isn't practical

are there different shaders to achieve the same effect?

# 5 23-08-2011 , 05:49 PM
The Nurb Herd
have you thought about not using FG. it will render quicker, not flicker and you wont have this problem with bounce light.

# 6 23-08-2011 , 09:57 PM
Technical Director

are there different shaders to achieve the same effect?

There is a Mentalray specific one actually, mip_matteshadow. You can read more about it here: https://www.mentalimages.com/fileadmi...production.pdf starting on page 38 (Matte Objects and Catching Shadows)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 23-08-2011 , 11:36 PM
rm3d
thanks guys for the help and i guess so honest but i do like FG user added image and that is some article cant wait to have a read through it