Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 166 07-12-2002 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
Great work...
If ever animated i'm sure i want to see it!

How many years do you use 3d software?
Doesn't rendering take too much time?
What pc do you use?

P.S Great Great Great Great work.

Ioannis KarAvas
# 167 07-12-2002 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by AbsolutelyWhite
Great work...
Doesn't rendering take too much time?
What pc do you use?

why do you think rendering would take much time? it is only a couple ten thousand polys at most after smoothing (mike correct me if i am wrong) and some nurbs. if you have a computer that is capable of running maya then you dont have to wait hours til this picture would come out.

# 168 07-12-2002 , 07:07 PM
Supreme Being
hahah.. wicked man.. user added image

# 169 07-12-2002 , 07:08 PM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, AbsolutelyWhite. user added image

I do plan on animating BigToon and LilToon interacting in some fashion eventually. user added image

I've been working in Maya for about 3 years or so now. Rendering used to take a little while when I used the GIJoe Global Illumination plugin, but with just the normal lighting I have now, it only takes maybe 4 or 5 minutes.

The total scene came to 300,843 polys, excluding NURBs, which were most of the pots and pans and stuff.

I use a fairly high-end Gateway brand PC.

Specs are: Pentium4 2 Ghz processor, 1 GB RDRAM, 75 Gig hard drive space (2 hard drives), GeForce4 Ti4600 Gphx card.

Thanks!

Here's what I'm going to submit as the final:

user added image

# 170 07-12-2002 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
and now go for it and win user added image

i wish you all luck user added image

# 171 07-12-2002 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
Oh boy!

By looking at some of the W.I.P.s here I get the feeling that I'd be better off collecting empty beer cans instead of butchering away innocent geometry in Maya... user added image

Awesome work, Mike!

All the best,

Mario user added image

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 172 09-12-2002 , 12:26 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, fellas! You'll be able to see my entry along with everyone else's at www.cgchallenge.com and you can vote there too. You may need a www.cgtalk.com membership, though, but it's free.

Thanks!

# 173 02-01-2003 , 02:08 AM
The Maya Mountain
Working on some facial animation poses for actual lip synching... I've got a script ready and hope to do a short 30 sec animation with this guy soon. user added image

user added image
user added image

Once I get them all, I'll post a pic of all the blend shapes I'm using. user added image

# 174 02-01-2003 , 02:23 AM
cant wait to see it.....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 175 03-01-2003 , 02:15 AM
i have to say it:

this comic char is GREAT user added image.

i bet the animation would be funny.

C.

# 176 03-01-2003 , 02:25 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks. user added image

# 177 03-01-2003 , 02:52 AM
Great start bud keep it comming!!!!!!!!

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 178 03-01-2003 , 03:00 AM
nice user added image

Où suis-je encore? Mince perdu pour pas changer!
# 179 04-01-2003 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber

cool stuff there...

Great stuff! Really nice work. I went to try and find the challenge at cgtalk and couldn't. Do you have a direct link to the challenge?

Also looked at your site - very nice! Gives me inspiration to make my site a little more clear.

Great models - nice characters. Super.

Looking forward to animation of the You Dude. Big brawny mop holder and mini dude look like lots of fun.

cheers!

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 180 04-01-2003 , 04:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, guys. user added image

Afraid I didn't even place in the top 3 for the CG Talk competition, but that's no biggie... after all, got a really great model out of it for my site presentation. user added image

Here's a link to the CGTalk thread: https://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27572

The animation I have in mind doesn't actually take place in the kitchen environment. That was done for the challenge, which was to have a toon of yourself doing something. (Which it seems the winner of the challenge failed to do, but oh well. :p)

My animation I have in mind is more of a general intro for my demo reel that I'm revising... Purely white background and environment (ala the white room in The Matrix) with just the two Mike characters addressing the "audience" with Mini Mike causing general havoc and interrupting Toon Mike's trying to open the show. user added image