Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-05-2012 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber

New Script REquest

Is there a script that i haven't found That allows for Mass obj export to separate files?

I need something that will allow me to export every combined poly object to a separate obj file with the file named what the part is named in the scene.

Preferably it would be setup so that it worked not on the overall file, but an export selected option

Example i have a ship I've modeled it up and the parts are laid out like " Ship Hull" ..."ShipGun"..."Ship cockpit"

So forth and so on.

I want to be able to select the parts, click a mel or python button and have each one export as obj to a folder i specify with the file named the same as the Combined poly object is named.

When i get ready to Take a model form Maya into magics, i have to export each individual part of the file needed as a separate part in magics, ( magics takes every file you pull into it and creates it as a single part) To a new separate file. I cannot export strait to STL because Maya has some strange issue that causes a direct export to get all wonky with the size of the part, even after history is deleted, transforms are frozen, what ever. cannot figure out a way around it other then to Export the parts to obj, then export that to STL file. So, when i have to export 40-50 files or more for a model to be prototyped, a mass export script would be killer. Even better if i could select the file type, allowing me to import all the obj files into a single scene, and redo the mass export with the stl file type selected.

Thanks
George

# 2 08-05-2012 , 12:48 AM
I am confused. Do you want one file (obj) for each of the combined parts or are you selecting a bunch of combined parts and want one obj for each combined part?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 08-05-2012 , 02:08 AM
Technical Director
Easy enough to write one.

Code:
global proc batchOBJExport(string $exportPath)
{
    string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;

for ($obj in $sel)
    {
        select $obj;
        file -force -options "groups=1;ptgroups=1;materials=1;smoothing=1;normals=1" -typ "OBJexport" -pr -es ($exportPath + "/" + $obj + ".obj");
    }
}
Example run: batchOBJExport("/Users/gman/desktop/objs")

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 08-05-2012 , 02:44 AM
Great timing ND this is what I had come up with...

It's the same basic idea just used the current work space (project) as the path and it's not a procedure.

Code:
string $workspace = `workspace -q -fullName`;
for ($obj in $sel)
{
   print("Exporting: " + $obj + "to " + $workspace + "/"  + $obj + ".obj\n");
   select $obj;
   file -force -options "groups=1;ptgroups=1;materials=1;smoothing=1;normals=1" -typ "OBJexport" -pr -es ($workspace + "/"  + $obj + ".obj");
}

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 08-05-2012 , 03:00 AM
ND I modified it so that you could either enter an export path or use the current workspace by passing a empty string of the export path. Is there some form of method overloading in mel such that I could simply make a batchExportOBJ() and batchExportOBJ(string path)? Is that something I'd have to write in python for method overloading?

Code:
global proc batchExportOBJ(string $exportPath)
{

if ($exportPath == "")
        $exportPath = `workspace -q -fullName`;

for ($obj in $sel)
    {
       print("Exporting: " + $obj + " to " + $exportPath + "/"  + $obj + ".obj\n");
       select $obj;
       file -force -options "groups=1;ptgroups=1;materials=1;smoothing=1;normals=1" -typ "OBJexport" -pr -es ($exportPath + "/"  + $obj + ".obj");
    }

select -r $sel;
}

Last edited by ctbram; 08-05-2012 at 03:05 AM.
# 6 08-05-2012 , 03:52 AM
Technical Director
You'd need to use Python.

# 7 08-05-2012 , 03:54 AM
Subscriber
You guys Rock.
Now, can we do a Batch import script?
And, IF we can do a batch import, can we also do a batch export for STL files?

George

# 8 08-05-2012 , 04:00 AM
Technical Director
Sure, use something like the following to get the files in a given directory, then go through each found file, and import it.

Code:
getFileList -folder "/Users/gman/Desktop/" -filespec "*.obj";

# 9 06-03-2014 , 01:29 AM

Maya 2014 Batch Import Export of Obj Files

Hi all. I'm new to Maya and new to the forums. I'm using Maya 2014 and I'm working on a porting project which involves the importing and exporting of a series of .obj files. I found an old Mel script from Creative Crash || here || .

It appears to do what I need, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. Will someone help me out by testing this mel script to verify it works?

Here's a download link to the original mel script and a set of test objs :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wto4ca02puldx9h/GHIotB_GTY

Thanks for your help in advance, and cheers. user added image

- Unhurdof

Last edited by Unhurdof; 06-03-2014 at 01:40 AM.
# 10 06-03-2014 , 02:07 AM
Technical Director
Hi Unhurdof, what exactly are you trying to do? That script doesn't export obj's over time.

# 11 06-03-2014 , 02:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean by 'over time', but I'd just like to import and maybe later export a group of obj files at once.

# 12 06-03-2014 , 03:19 AM
Technical Director
You can select multiple obj files in your OS, then drag them into the viewport to load them in at once.

# 13 06-03-2014 , 03:41 AM
Ah, thanks NextDesign. That's just what I was looking for. Thanks a ton. Cheers! user added image