Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 136 01-09-2007 , 08:48 PM
Looks good man, nice mix there.

If I was you I would try to get a bit of a pre-vis animation going, just to see how it all fits together just incase the mix is hard/or has some problems.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 137 01-09-2007 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Steve,

an animatic was next on the "to do" list.

The image of the hospital is the final one I'll be using, I made it to see if I could still draw and colour in. I'll just be roughing out the rest of the environment pieces and making the animatic using them, the moth and the empty room.

I don't forsee too many problems with animating it but I may well end up eating those words!!

It'll probably take a couple of days (at least) to sort out so watch this space.....

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 138 03-09-2007 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
Hello all,

I've made THIS (1.5Meg-ish) pre-vis animation to see how my intro idea would work.

If you excuse the terrible alpha and the balls up I made on the lighting in the ward it's pretty much how I imagined it to be (in rough!) which is cool. Time to start thinking about how to make it look good.

Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 139 03-09-2007 , 07:07 AM
Nice going Mat, looks realyl good!

If it was me I would probably have the insect "introduce" the start, so the cameras following that, then going into the scenery.

Just my personal preference though!

# 140 03-09-2007 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Steve,

I rekon you're right about the moth introducing the scene. I have an idea or two as how to go about it so I'll work on it (along with the ever growing workload I seem to have set myself!!).

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 141 04-09-2007 , 05:57 AM
that was excellent mat user added image - it worked really well, espescially when it flew into the hospital - it would kind of be cool it was bright when it flew in and then got darker as your eyes adjusted - though I guess it is supposed to be dark in the hospital.

great job mate.

# 142 05-09-2007 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
Thanks arran,

I think that I'll be keeping the hospital interior dark cheers for the thought though.

I've been scribbling away in Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro and have made enough of a start on the churchyard to post a screen grab. This is where the moth will be starting it's journey to the hospital. I've got so much more to draw and colour that my brain hurts to think about it!

Man, it's tiring work colouring in!!

Thoughts are always appreciated,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 143 10-09-2007 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber
Hello all!

I've been working on the intro scene and have made a quick playblast to see it in motion. There's still plenty to do but I'm definately getting there.

Click THIS (about 2.5Meg) to see a motion path playblast.

Cheers for your thoughts,

Mat.

# 144 16-09-2007 , 04:26 AM
Subscriber
Ok then,

I've been filling the intro scene a bit more with my drawings and have made another playblast for your pleasure. Well, it was really for my pleasure so that I could see which pieces of the scene still needed to be populated but I'm happy to spread the love!

I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out and am looking forward to having some crit from my tutors when university starts again next week but feel free to throw in your two cents too.

Before you watch it, I'm going to apologise for the render quality, I didn't set the bit rate properly in AE and couldn't be bothered to fix it!!

Anyway, without further ado, enjoy.....

MY NEW PLAYBLAST

Cheers,

Mat.

Last edited by happymat27; 16-09-2007 at 04:28 AM.
# 145 16-09-2007 , 04:38 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
great progress user added image
I only think that the wings of the bug need to flap faster and also rotate a bit when they "flap".
I think the camera work needs a bit tweaking too, but since i'm not a camera-expert i don't know how.

# 146 16-09-2007 , 09:13 AM
Subscriber
Cheers mastone,

the flap on the wing's won't be too hard to sort out, I'll look at some slow-mo stuff of flying insects before I do anything about making it look more natural though.

As for the camera, there's a whole bunch of work that needs doing to it. I really made the playblast to give me an idea of how much more I need to populate the scene.

Thanks again,

Mat.

# 147 16-09-2007 , 09:33 AM
Hey Mat,

Really starting to come together. Just thinking a bit of a bank on the fly and "loosening" the camera to the fly so its following it not really knowing where its going (hope that makes sense!) Just a bit of randomness to the cameras aim node in the banks/turns etc etc, might look pretty cool.

# 148 16-09-2007 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
Steve,

thanks.

Movement on the moth and the camera is exactly what I'll be working on when I'm happy with the set.

I had a quick play with banking etc. in the original test animation (the link should still work) when I was figuring out the whole concept but decided not to worry about it until I was happy with the motion path.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 149 16-09-2007 , 10:29 AM
Yeah man good call, get the basics down then go from there!

Is the fly on a motion path? I think you can directly bank it from there (been a long while since ive used a motion path!) aolthough you would probably want to have more control over it.

# 150 16-09-2007 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
To give me as much control as possible, the moth and camera aren't directly attached to the motion path. I have attached a locator to the path and then parented the moth and camera to that.

This way I can rotate or translate the camera and moth independantly of the motion path while they still follow it.

Cheers,

Mat.