Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-04-2013 , 01:48 PM
EduSciVis-er

Black exr files in AE and PS

I rendered out openEXR files with passes associated. I get MasterBeauty and also refl refr diff etc. There doesn't seem to be any passes within the MasterBeauty itself, I can't remember how to put those all in the same file, but that's a separate issue (or maybe not).

When I open the exr pass files in imf_disp, they look fine (after correcting the gamma), but when I open them in AE or PS, they are totally black. The MasterBeauty file works fine in imf_disp and PS and AE. The MasterBeauty files are a little less than 3 times the size of the pass files. I wonder if they are the wrong bit-depth? The kicker is that if I open a pass file in imf_disp and then re-save it as an exr, it looks fine in PS. So Maya is not saving out the pass files properly?

# 2 25-04-2013 , 01:51 PM
EduSciVis-er
I just noticed that if I resave an exr pass out of imf_disp, it gets a lot smaller (5MB to 700KB). If I open that in PS, it says (RGB/32), so it should be the right bit depth? The original black exr pass files also show RGB/32 in PS.

# 3 27-04-2013 , 02:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
EXR passes are really starting to annoy me. I've been trying to use render passes in every shot since January, and I've not got it to work once. I realized that Maya was rendering passes into separate files because I added a <Render_Pass> token in the file name, so it forced that. Now I have a 32-bit exr file with all the passes in the same file.

Now my main problem is where I've got stuck at every time. I can't get the passes to look like the MasterBeauty. Using the proEXR plugin which comes with AE, I created a comp from the passes. It displays the MasterBeauty (or RGBA) correctly (first image), but the passes it didn't gamma correct, so I had to that manually. When I add or linear dodge the passes together, it looks like crap. And it doesn't seem to be respecting the mia_bokeh that I rendered.

Attached Thumbnails