Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 10-11-2002 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
The nose was made with nurbs curves that was lofted.
I had to use the boundry tool again to model the tip of the nose, but I could not manage to get this nose-tip to attach to the main-nose.
After lofting I projected a curve to cut the back-most-side of the nose-suface.

(I have to learn to parametrizise(?) better or ponder out a solution sometime)

I did the nose over again, so now it should look a bit better than the one shown earlier in this forum

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 17 10-11-2002 , 01:22 PM
Kevin
awesome luistlf! i love the model! nice detail ..

# 18 10-12-2002 , 09:09 AM
Yes good job on the nose! Had I known that you had just modeled this I would have studied yours before starting mine in Maya! Nice job man! May the force be with you!

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect
# 19 11-12-2002 , 02:29 PM
Undseth,

Besides the nose, are you building the whole thing with NURBS, including the canons and fuselage or are those extruded polys?

--pete

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 20 11-12-2002 , 04:33 PM
Subscriber
I use polygon primitives wherever possible.
Could be that the nose will end up being the only nurbs object in the model.

I use the boolean ops for polys a lot.

# 21 11-12-2002 , 04:50 PM
Ah ok. I was inspired by your canons yesterday and started playing around by making a cylinder, extruding a face, scaling it and pulling it out but kept having weird discolorations on the face I extruded from....certain faces were colored darker than others. I saw another post that mentioned it might be a problem with normals being different directions but I haven't experimented further, yet. Newbie question here but how are you getting your cylinders so smooth? I increased faces but it still renders where I can see edges. Also tried to soften faces but it softens the whole canon into a different shap altogether.

# 22 11-12-2002 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
user added image Ah, this sometimes bothers me, when the normals gets messed up. And this happens everytime I bevel something.

Do this:

EditPolygons --> Normals --> Set to face

This "makes it look ok" again, with normal pointing the right way (I recon). But the smoothing of the edges disappear.

Do this:

EditPolygons --> Normals --> Soften/harden

If this doesnt produce a nice result, undo it and instead of selecting the whole object, select the edges that you want to have a soft egde to it and do the soften/harden action again.

Sometimes I dont get the result I want, but I have to learn more about the polygon tools.

You could try deleting the objects history before making the operations above.

edit:
I don't use the extrude face that often, so I either simply put several polygon objects together and leave them alone, or I use the boolean tools.

I also try to keep the faces planar, although I don't think it means the end of the world, if your faces aren't planar. I mean when people are modeling heads, I can hardly believe that they keep their faces (on the face user added image ) strictly planar. Alas I am but a newbie with polys.

Last edited by undseth; 11-12-2002 at 05:02 PM.
# 23 11-12-2002 , 05:32 PM
I'm looking at your cannon and I'm trying to get whether it's a boolean, beveling, or just the lighting at one point. At the very end (towards the tip where the laser comes out) where the last long telescoping cylinder connects to the sphere housing the tip...did you do anything to the sphere or just insert a cylinder into the sphere and that's it? The reason I ask is that it looks like a hole was cut out in the sphere for the cylinder to fit into...the edge looks more rounded than if you just place a sphere at the end of a cylinder. Hope this is too confusing to understand.

# 24 11-12-2002 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
Nah, its just the shading, appearing as the flatside get darkened by shadows. Some objects are "unioned" others are just positioned into each other.

# 25 11-12-2002 , 07:16 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the tips. user added image