Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-09-2007 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber

hardsurface smoothing.

Here's a problem I'm having with hard surfaces.

In picture 1, I have a polygon thats unsmoothed, and in picture 2 I have it subdivided. The problem I'm having here is when I subdivide, I lose the octagon shape. I've tried adding edges, but when I try adding edges all the way through, it adds an indention in my model which I don't want. I tried adding edges at just the corner, then deleting the center so it would form 4 sides, but when I do, picture number 4 is the result. So....I'm not sure how to get around this. Any suggestions would be nice right now. I'm having

As for the top part where the cavity is, I'm trying to sharpen that area to a nice edge also, but it's hard to keep it straight because it's slanted. I tried changing my move tool to object, so that the arrows would follow according to the angle of the plane, but it stayed the same. So' I'm a bit confused. I've spent a while trying to play around with it but it isn't helping much.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-09-2007 , 06:32 PM
Hi there!

From looking at your geometry, I believe your difficulty is the triangle in the corner. If you used the bevel tool for your bevels, then instead of just beveling the edges and the crease, select the line on the top surface too. That way instead of having a triangle in the corner, it will be a 4 sided poly. That should take care of your problem and prevent the corners from exploding like that.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 29-09-2007 , 06:38 PM
I decided to do an example to show you what I mean. Notice the edges on the left compared to the edges on the right and the results of each after subdividing.

I hope this helps you out some

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 30-09-2007 , 01:25 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Anhslaught

This is subdivison surface right? Not actual poly smoothing.

Watch those tris on a subd it will make life hell if you put those in and convert to a subd. The irony being that subds will algorythmically smooths the geometry into what it 'sees' and then trys to make it a quad hence the strange patches that appear. this also applies when converting to a subd from an N-Sided faced poly. When converting to a final poly model too from Subds any tris are converted to quads also.

So my advice would be to stick with quads in those types of areas, the mesh will be cleaner to when it comes to uving the model.

Hope this helps
Jay

# 5 10-10-2007 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber
thanks guys for the response.

I have a question, is there a tool that will allow you to move along the surface without deforming it too much?

Like for example, if I wanted to move on a flat but its at a wierd angle, is ther away I can make my move tool move along tha angle?

Or another example, on a sloped surface, I want my move tool to just move along the slope, how would I do that?

# 6 10-10-2007 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Anhslaught

This is subdivison surface right? Not actual poly smoothing.

Watch those tris on a subd it will make life hell if you put those in and convert to a subd. The irony being that subds will algorythmically smooths the geometry into what it 'sees' and then trys to make it a quad hence the strange patches that appear. this also applies when converting to a subd from an N-Sided faced poly. When converting to a final poly model too from Subds any tris are converted to quads also.

So my advice would be to stick with quads in those types of areas, the mesh will be cleaner to when it comes to uving the model.

Hope this helps
Jay

Yup, they're subdivisions. I have another question too I just thought of just now. I noticed the smoothing for subdivisions and polygon smoothe are quite different. With sudvisions, everything smoothes out perfectly and round, but for smoothing, the edges(the ends?) look all wonky and pokes out sharp corners or edges.

# 7 10-10-2007 , 02:43 PM
Lifetime Member
If you double click on the move tool you can change it's move axis, the option that will most likely give you what you want is Normal, the axis will change to the normals of the face.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 8 10-10-2007 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jsprogg
If you double click on the move tool you can change it's move axis, the option that will most likely give you what you want is Normal, the axis will change to the normals of the face.

awesome, that did the trick. thanks user added image