Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-05-2008 , 07:40 PM

Hi, guys..

Ok.. these are the ones that I am having hard time with. I think the day one looks ok, but with night one, I just can't play with lights. Any tips for creating lights for a night scene?

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails

"Life is better with art."
https://www.thejinchoi.com/
# 2 26-05-2008 , 09:03 PM
well im sorry i cant help much with the lighting. I just wanted to compliment your model. its lookin great!!!!

and the night image doesnt look horrible.

BEEF
# 3 26-05-2008 , 09:47 PM
Wow, ur awesome. And yea the night scene docent look horrible. user added image

# 4 26-05-2008 , 10:23 PM
Acid44
maybe add an area light inside each street light for the night scene? i dont know i've never worked with lighting yet...

other than that nice scene manuser added image

# 5 26-05-2008 , 10:43 PM
yeah - these look very cool. nice job. user added image

# 6 28-05-2008 , 04:37 AM
Senior Software Developer
How do you have your lighting set up atm?

It looks like you are using 2 lights for each street lamp. I would have put a spot light at the light itself, then adjust its color and falloff rate to get a nice stream of light, i find a little fog a nice touch too user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 28-05-2008 , 02:49 PM

Thank you

Thank you all for commenting. I actually put spot light for the street light then i made it glow.. Lighting is what i really don't get good at with.. I am still trying this and that, thank you for your advice~!

# 8 28-05-2008 , 05:39 PM
most of the street lights i'm used to seeing nowadays are orange in color, and the moon itself casts off an ever-so-slight blue hue... tungsten lights (regular light bulbs) give off a light yellowish-orange color, while fluorescent lights are a very very pale green. you can use that information while looking at your lights to increase lighting accuracy.

Accept no substitutions.
# 9 29-05-2008 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber
While I agree with everyone, your scenes are looking pretty good, I will do my best to be picky about the lighting.
Both scenes have the same shadows, that is very inaccurate. The lighting in both scenes is too flat, I would say mostly due to inaccurate shadows, or the complete lack of shadows in the background buildings. They look like image planes or background images and some PS work could be done to add shadow detail to match the scenes to improve the overall look.

For the night scene, if the sky is that dark I would expect there to be a lot less light in the scene, or a lot less white/grey light anyways. The moon gives off a blueish tinted light which should make the scene feel colder. Under such lights things like the yellow paint on the road should look a lot less yellow and infact a little more green.
The street lights as mentioned by NeoStrider give off orange light, however if you look on the ground or on objects that they light the colour they receive is a much less intense orange as when you look into the bulb. So I might recommend using 2 lights in them, one light to give you the glowing red/orange with a faloff, and then a spot with a less diffused orange/red for the light that is actually emitted onto most objects from the street light.

Don't forget about awesome tools like photoshop, painter, or any other photo editing program. You may find it a lot less time consuming/easier to edit/create the necessary effects in a post production/editing program. A lot of the stuff in the scene now appears to be quite flat and you could manually add your shadows/light. Just something to keep in mind based on the scope of your project.

Cheers,
Alexander

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 10 01-06-2008 , 07:17 AM

Thanks~

wow...thank you so much... I know I can edit my scenes with photoshop and all.. but I rather do everything with maya to get all the effects. Thank you so much for the tips!

# 11 01-06-2008 , 09:34 AM

# 12 03-06-2008 , 04:12 AM

Hi

Thank you so much for the link, Younglion! I usually render my scenes with software with raytrace on. I found it very hard to do with mentalray, well... I suck at lighting and rendering. Thank you so much for the link!!!!

# 13 03-06-2008 , 05:21 AM
Holy crap! Love it.

I'm not too familiar with lighting as well...I think that's kind of one of the trickiest part to do.

One thing I do notice is the pattern of lights in the apartment buildings. They don't look "random" enough. It looks like you put one light on, then one off next to it, then one light off below the light on, then off, and so on. I don't see any lights that are on, and NEXT to each other.

Plus, change the hue of the lighting in the apartment buildings. I don't know if it's really a big deal, but if you really look at an apartment building like that at night, the lights inside are different due to people using different type or wattage of bulbs. (Yeah I know, I'm anal!).

The starry night background may need a little bit work. It seems the stars are blurry, and the sky is not "pitch black". I'm used to seeing the sky just a tad bit cooler than complete black, and the stars are sharp white.

Wish you best of luck on completing this project!