Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 24-12-2008 , 12:14 PM
Acid44
yea, the body looks to be about twice the length of the refs body, the ear looks fine to me though, i kinda like it that wayy :p

# 17 24-12-2008 , 12:32 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I know what you mean about the body compared to the ref but in the game the elephanilla does seem to have a longer body (it would help if i had got that far in the game....)
thanks for the crits though
wether its accurate or not ill still make the body shorter, i think it will look better then

# 18 24-12-2008 , 12:57 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
My guess is that you have something with elephants.....LOL

Keep in mind although you are modeling a cartoony character, where the muscle groups are.
And for the hair use a displacement/normal -map, if it needs to be lowpoly or gamelike, use ZBrush or Mudbox to paint the displacement/hairs and colors.

good luck
user added image

# 19 24-12-2008 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber
(i dont think he has a sculpting tool)

hey elephantinc, are you trying to copy the elephanilla exactly or just the funky effect on it?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 20 24-12-2008 , 04:43 PM
The Nurb Herd
do what laurie said, it makes the most sense. I was going to suggest the sampler info approach but would have had to work out exactly how to do it with the layer node... I'm still learning. user added image

# 21 24-12-2008 , 10:15 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Im trying to copy it mostly but it will be slightly different just so people can tell i havent stolen it
I will try Lauries approach but i dont know how, i now own a book on rendering though which might help

# 22 27-12-2008 , 05:54 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
update: Id like to see what this looks like textured but I dont have a clue what im doing.....
Besides the obvious creasing any comments? Do you think ive made the body short enough? (i dont think i want an except replica, just the generally feel)

Attached Images
# 23 27-12-2008 , 05:55 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
2nd pic

Attached Images
# 24 27-12-2008 , 10:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
How do i put the transparency map onto a layer node? I cant even work out how to create a transparency map node

# 25 28-12-2008 , 07:36 AM
Just attach a file node to the transparancy slot in the material

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 26 28-12-2008 , 02:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Heres what ive ended up with:
I think its fair to say i have no idea what im doing, I cant even figure out how to change the layered shader blending.....

Attached Files
File Type: mb elephanillamess.mb (225.3 KB, 134 views)
# 27 30-12-2008 , 07:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
EDIT: Problem solved! You dont have to read this post now, unless you really want to.

Originally posted by LauriePriest
make a patchy trans map, squars of white squares and black, put it on a layer node then ontop of it in the layer node attatch a ramp with, set the blending method to multiply on the layer node.

Make a sampler info node and attatch the facing ratio attribute to the v coord of the ramp. Edit the ramp so that it is transparent at the edges and solid in the centre. This should give the correct effect if im not mistaken, you want no interpolation between the gradient values.

Now i feel really stupid. that first paragraph was a lot easier to do than i made it, but how do i change the blending mode, i cant find anything for it? I checked the help files (no really, i did) and it says there should be a thing for it in the attribute editor but i cant find anything

UPDATE: ah! theres a difference between layered shader and layered texture node, sorry!)

UPDATE 2: user added image when trying to connect the checker node to the layered texture theres no transparency in the inputs, what should i do?

Update 3: I think ive got it, instead of doing it in the hypershade i put the checker in the alpha box of the layered shader, is that right?

UPDATE 4: Im really sorry but I cant find the v cord thing on the ramp, when i go to the connections box thing (when ive middle mouse dragged the sampler info node onto the ramp node and selected other) on the sampler info node the facing ratio attribute is there but on the ramp side there is no v cord attribute (theres no uv cord attribute at all)

Update 5: I DID IT! I was using a ramp shader instead of a ramp <smack head>
sorry! (i think ive finally done it though, all my problems have been because i was using X shader nodes instead of just X nodes)

Last edited by elephantinc; 30-12-2008 at 07:52 PM.
# 28 30-12-2008 , 08:01 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Im really sorry but this is what ive ended up with, and as you can tell it hasnt worked.
please can someone take a look at it? :beg:
It might be the transparency on the ramp (or lack of), im not sure what to do with the ramp

Attached Files
File Type: mb elephanillamess.mb (226.9 KB, 142 views)
# 29 30-12-2008 , 08:02 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Here is a pic of the graph network.
does it look right?

Attached Images
# 30 31-12-2008 , 02:20 PM
hmm - sorry i cant help with this - i can't open your file. my wife is playing viva pinata 2 and i've been wondering how they create that effect. your base model looks cool though. user added image