Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-07-2009 , 03:07 PM

rendering

Hey all this is my first question on SimplyMaya.

I am working on a facial model in Maya and I wanna know how I can get the render window to be the same as the working area. Excuse my terminology.

The screen capture at the link below shows my work windows in the lower right and in the upper left corner the render window.

To get the smooth look in my work area I pressed '3'. But when I render I still get the polygon look. How can I get maya to render that same nurb look that i have in my work area?

Can some one help this newbie?

link: https://www.rossow-web.com/screen1.jpg

# 2 14-07-2009 , 03:26 PM
If you're in the smooth preview (3 on the keyboard) Select your mesh:

Modify > Convert > Smooth Mesh Preview to Polygons

Then, just adjust the settings as needed in the channelbox for the polySmothFace node.

Otherwise, you could just use:

Mesh > Smooth

Just be aware that too much smoothing may slow down your modeling so save it for the end and just use the 3 key to preview. If you want to actually have a a smoothed version and poly side-by-side and on separate layers, you could read up on using Maya's poly proxy.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 14-07-2009 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber
you should be able to get the render window in the working area by going to a view panel, click panel and then somewhere there is the ability to change it to any of the other panels like hypershade, UV texture layout, render view etc (sorry, i dont have maya in front of me so i can't see the actual path)
you can also click those buttons on the left side there underneath the tools to change the layout of the panels

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D