Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-07-2004 , 11:34 PM

Again, an Image plane problem.

Hi!

Sorry to all of you SimplyMaya experts, you must be getting tired with all these Image plane question user added image .

Well anyhow, my problem is that I´m one of those with a ATI card and gets a sluggish computer when working with Image planes. I´ve searched this forum and found out that you referred to a free tutorial on how to set up an image plane (the shark tutorial) using poly planes instead. I followed that and and it works great, I can actually move CV´s now user added image.
My question is that if I wanna model an object, moving CV´s, hull or whatever, I would like to press 4 and go into wireframe mode without Image planes disappering and then press 5 to smooth shade all. Now as it is, I´m only able to work with an object thats shaded. I´m sure it´s easy to fix and I`m sure I will feel really stupid when you tell me to "hit that key" :o , but I hope you guys understand what I mean and can help me.

PS. I know I´m a newbie, you dont have to point that out and remind me. :p
Thanks in advance

# 2 08-07-2004 , 11:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
Actually, the way I do this takes a little monkeying around, so don't feel too bad. user added image

First, under the Shading > Shading Options menu, I turn on "Wire on Shaded." (The shading menu is in your view port and not at the top of the screen with the rest of the menus.

Then, apply a material to your object, like a new lambert, and make the transparancy of the material all the way down. Now, the geometry is invisible, but the wire is still visible.

I generally make a Set Driven Key control to make it easier going back and forth to the material attributes.

Good luck!