Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-09-2004 , 09:11 PM

3 Keyframing Questions

1) (Newbie Questions) How would you go abouts turning an emitter (especially fire which appears to have a fixed emitting speed) on or off at various keyframes.

2) (Newbie Question) How would you go about creating and destroying (or showing and hiding) an object in a maya scene throughout various keyframes. (without keyframing the object to appear from behind the camera)

3) (IMO: Not newbie Question) How would you go about keyframing shader-changes in a Maya scene?

Say you have a beaker model in Maya, and you drop an object in it. A particle emitter turns on at that point to create a cloud raising upwards, the object disappears, and the fluid in the beaker changes from a blue to a red color. (Example which covers all 3 questions -- not the animation I'm using it for though :b)

Last edited by Phopojijo; 26-09-2004 at 09:19 PM.
# 2 26-09-2004 , 10:07 PM
For those who played the game Halo, I'm doing a fan-animation which involves a character turning Active Camoflagued. That requires an average skinned character slowly shifting to a clear refractive (and slightly reflective with a bit of glare) mesh which (when raytraced) will yield an object that kind-of warps the objects behind it. Those of you who have seen Die Another Day, the Aston Marton "Vanish" does the same effect (with Q's foot), only in Halo its a smooth transition, where in the Bond flick it kinda flickers out before becoming visible.

# 3 27-09-2004 , 04:27 PM

Re: 3 Keyframing Questions

Originally posted by Phopojijo
1) (Newbie Questions) How would you go abouts turning an emitter (especially fire which appears to have a fixed emitting speed) on or off at various keyframes.

2) (Newbie Question) How would you go about creating and destroying (or showing and hiding) an object in a maya scene throughout various keyframes. (without keyframing the object to appear from behind the camera)

3) (IMO: Not newbie Question) How would you go about keyframing shader-changes in a Maya scene?

Say you have a beaker model in Maya, and you drop an object in it. A particle emitter turns on at that point to create a cloud raising upwards, the object disappears, and the fluid in the beaker changes from a blue to a red color. (Example which covers all 3 questions -- not the animation I'm using it for though :b)

Hi,

1. I would keyframe the emitter rate.
2. I would keyframe the visibility of the object.
3. I would keyframe the shader's values.

Seems like you know what to do, so I'm not sure what you're looking for.

sj

www.digitalplanetdesign.com
# 4 27-09-2004 , 06:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
1) Agreed.
2) Yep. Or, keyframe the transparancy of the object's material.
3) Agreed.

# 5 28-09-2004 , 10:03 PM
How do you keyframe shader values? The "S" key doesn't seem to work :b

Also -- how do you freeze particles in time for X frames... say I want fire to be emitted from an object, and when it reaches one point, I want to do swirl the camera around that point in time without the particles being emitted, moved, or destroyed.

# 6 28-09-2004 , 10:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
Right click on the attribute and choose "Set Key" from the drop down menu.

Don't know of an easy way to do the freezing thing.