Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-03-2009 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber

some objects appear darker in the scene and render

hello
please someone help because I am kind of going nuts
I have designed a robot hand (terminator looking) and at first everything was fine till I started playing around with the textures then the problem started...
the problem is now no matter what material I apply to all the parts, some parts look weird and really dark...
even if I remove the applied materials, most of the objects turn green by default but those ones with problem still look really dark and black
does anyone have any idea what happened that caused this and how can I fix it?

rsh
# 2 17-03-2009 , 09:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Its most likely a normals problem , if you post a pic it might help to be more specific but for now make sure all the normals are set to face and also try setting a normal angle of 30- 60.Im not sure what version of Mya you are using but if its 2008 or 2009 then you can do this under the normals tab.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 17-03-2009 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
thank you for the post
it was actually the normal problem
however since they objects are parented i have selecting the parent and reversing the normals...
because when i choose the parent and reversing normals it not gonna work since the children are selected too.
is there any way to just select the parent and reversing normals without unparenting the child. because if i do that they become messed up

rsh
# 4 17-03-2009 , 05:44 PM
Lifetime Member
you can select faces and reverse the normals on only those faces selected so convert the selection and deselect the children faces or just paint the selection on the parent or drag to select faces.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 17-03-2009 , 09:49 PM
you haven't been playing with the initial lambert 1 shader have you?

# 6 18-03-2009 , 02:08 AM
Subscriber

thanks everyone

thanks guys
everything works out now
thanks

rsh