Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-03-2015 , 02:57 PM

Making Curved UV's Straight

I am having an issue with UV's on this magazine I am trying to texture. I am fairly new to UV mapping and i am trying to figure out how to straighten the edges of this model. I am attempting to texture the edges and curving a photo to match the UV is painstakingly slow and the results are not that great.

So is there a way to straighten these curved portions of the UV for easy texturing?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-03-2015 , 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

- Genny
# 3 05-03-2015 , 11:34 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ive not watched Gens video...

but, one element of maya that getss overlooked is the Unitize Uvs command. This will basically break your shell into individual poly square in the uv editor. Then simply marquee select drag over ALL the edges. When you have done this, simply deselect the edges on the model where you would like to create the seams for you uvs. Once you are happy hit the move and sew uvs. This will make them all nice and squared. However the next trick is to unfold the uvs so they sit nice and natural and represent a nice unfolded version of the model. The in the unfold options either check horizontal or verticle...you should be able to tell just by looking at the shells. If it goes odd just check the opposite button and try again....job done and very easy

Jay

# 4 06-03-2015 , 03:34 AM
Thank you Jay for the great advice. Will give it a try

# 5 08-03-2021 , 06:54 PM

Ive not watched Gens video...

but, one element of maya that getss overlooked is the Unitize Uvs command. This will basically break your shell into individual poly square in the uv editor. Then simply marquee select drag over ALL the edges. When you have done this, simply deselect the edges on the model where you would like to create the seams for you uvs. Once you are happy hit the move and sew uvs. This will make them all nice and squared. However the next trick is to unfold the uvs so they sit nice and natural and represent a nice unfolded version of the model. The in the unfold options either check horizontal or verticle...you should be able to tell just by looking at the shells. If it goes odd just check the opposite button and try again....job done and very easy

Jay

You sir just saved me hours of pain. I literally just made this account to say thanks xD

# 6 08-03-2021 , 09:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
you are welcome. Theres quite a few nuggets of info people share on here...its worth sticking around

_J